• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

DIY C&E. Can it go too far? Part 2. of 3. Creating ‘The Ultimate’ Ruck (system)?

Sharpfinger

Slightly Addicted
The material arrived from the U.S. about a week later.
The quality was superb.
The colour was - coyote?
Well, it was one version of coyote!
Point to note, just like ‘olive green’ there are now numerous interpretations of the colour coyote - coyote; coyote tan; coyote sand etc.

Although the material I had received was a lighter shade and a more yellowy hue than that of the Dutch SF ruck (and looked quite bright when new) I decided that it would do the job. It had to, I’d already got fifty quid invested in it!

Whilst I had been awaiting the arrival of the ruck material I had embarked upon what I find is the single most frustrating aspect of making your own self reliance gear - sourcing appropriate webbing strap; zips; side-lock buckles; Velcro; spacer mesh; edging tape; shock cord; etc - in the right colours and crucially in the right quality.

Yes, there is plenty of what might appear to be the right stuff on the net but most of it is absolute tat that isn’t up to the job.

That situation usually means searching for military contract leftovers (that is what the Cordura was) or purchasing military surplus items like other rucks/pouches etc and cannibalising them to get exactly what you need. Because we hardly make any complete items in this country anymore the fundamental materials are few and far between. I know, another story for another time.

Creation of the bespoke ruck began Nov 2018.
The first task was to de-struct the Dutch SF ruck. The pieces would be used as a pattern which I would increase in size as required.
This was followed by a lot, I repeat - a lot - of hand sewing; machine sewing; blood, sweat (literally!) and tears. Plus more swearing than has been done in the entire history of the British Army!

Working mostly half a day at a time (6hours) but on quite a few occasions putting full 12 hour days in, the ruck was finally completed to a usable condition in late January 2019.
The only part of it not self created was the large padded waist belt, which I got at a discount as the colour at the time wasn’t selling well.

A Janome J3-18 (dressmakers!) machine was used wherever possible (in most instances that had to be where materials had already been strongly hand-tacked into position).
Gutermann upholstery thread and machine needles for leather were used.
There had however been numerous places where multiple layers of cordura/strap/ edging etc had come together where the machine just couldn’t hack it (loads of broken machine needles!) and that had to be all done by hand with a large robust needle and a pair of pliers! My fingers went through shredded, healed/hardened; shredded, healed/hardened about 5 times during the 3 months.

The time to do it was my own so no (financial!) charge.
Adding up the cost in (all) the materials in the end it came out not too far from the price of that TT Trooper! But it did also include 40 quid for the waist belt and the cost was spread over several months of ordering, so I did undercut the TT in the end and I did end up with The Ultimate Ruck System’.

Or did I? 😂

Back