• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

diy hammock?

teef

Slightly Addicted
anyone tried doing this? i've got a DD Camping hammock and find i often end up with upper body ache after a sleep in it. i'm fairly wide-shouldered -- always take XXL or XXXL everything in order to get a decent shoulder fit -- and it's been suggested that i may need a wider hammock. the DDs seem to come in a standard 1.4m width which is understandable since that's the approximate width of most fabric on the roll but i'm looking for something around 1.7m width and that has me thinking of going the DIY route.

so, i'm interested in fabric recommendations, design suggestions, etc.
i've heard poly taffeta is good but it seems to come in a variety of weights and i have no clue what weight is suitable.
ditto for ripstop nylon which i've also heard is good but stretchy.

in all honesty i'm flying blind here but hey, that's what the inter-tubes are for. :D

aside from the fabric and design i'm pretty comfortable with doing the rigging and such. did my own dynema whoopie slings and so forth for the DD and that's worked out stellar.

As Rob says, it's the wider fit, well, wider and longer so you can achieve a flat diagonal lay is apparently the way to go, I have one but always just tend to sleep down the middle, banana style.

I've made a few DIY hammocks - for some reason the UK makers stop at 3m long, the USA makers go to 11 foot. And 11 foot makes a very comfortable hammock with minimal calf ridge pressure.
Making one is very simple - if you can borrow a sewing machine you'll have it all done in an hour. Make folded channels on each end and roll hem the long edges - that's it! There are plenty of plans and videos on the 'net (and hammockforums.net is a great resource!). Do give it a go, you'll be amazed how easy it is and how pleased with the results. I've just completed a new bridge hammock and down underquilt to suit over the last few weeks, if I can do it, anyone can :)
Picture attached of an 11 foot hammock I made up a few years ago from cheap ripstop off Ebay.

Attachments

• IMG_20170205_160418461.jpg
    IMG_20170205_160418461.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 80
Try and avoid waterproof (lots of ripstop is coated) stuff as its nice for the hammock to breath and avoids condensation. 50gsm upwards is easily strong enough and you can always make a double layer hammock for super strength :)

Mmmmmm I could be persuaded into this 😂 and the good lady was harking on about a sewing machine 👍🏻🍻😁

A hammock is literally a rectangle of material with the ends gathered up - it's a real easy thing to make, especially with a sewing machine. You should definitely treat the missus..... ;)

@Philmandoo , a question if i may. the standard width of many hammocks here in the UK is 1.4m. i'm pretty wide in the shoulder and would like to try something closer to 1.7m in width but material that wide -- thereby avoiding any extra seams -- is a little hard to come by.
what width did you end up making yours?
and did you sew up something wider from narrower stock? if so where did you put those seams?

as mentioned above (TY @Madriverrob ) NapSack does wider hammocks but they are currently out of stock and have no idea when that will change.

I have used regular width stock - it's the extra length that makes the difference, not the width. I' started off with the entry level DD, then upgraded to an XL TW Hornet (which was longer and wider but still around the 3m long mark. After making a DIY one out of cheap ripstop at 11 foot long the scales fell from my eyes - it's the length that makes for a flatter lay, not the width. It's such a different feel, no longer squished into a banana :)
4 meters of cheap ripstop - give it a go and see what you think. I know you'll be impressed! I've set all my hammocks up and A-B'd them, the difference is obvious but difficult to put into words or pictures.
Oh, and I have a Warbonnet BLackbird XLC from the States. A flat lie with some clever tweaks, a very nice hammock. And guess what - 11 foot long :) That magic number again!

@Philmandoo , my issue with the width was that i was getting pretty consistent "shoulder pinch" out of my 1.4m wide hammock. mind you it's only 2.7m (8.8 ft) long, well under the 3.35m length you're suggesting.

that said i've yet to find a source for extra-wide (170cm +) ripstop. given that the usual 1.5m stuff can be had relatively cheaply i might just give your recommendation a try. if all else fails it'll be good material for stuff sacks and suchlike.

Back