• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register
It'll last forever then... Non of this warping and going rusty. Is it exhaust pipe tubing? That stuff is a bugger to weld

I can camp, I have camped, I've backpacked around Europe and morocco and camped in the simpson desert in oz in july - it was a bit cold. :confused: Now I prefer not to camp but if the worst came to the worst we still have the gear and as long as oh can put up with my whinging then we would be ok.

I camp regularly in the warmer months when I go to the lake. If the fishing is good or I need to do some maintenance work it's easier to stay onsite. I'm no minimalist camper anymore, I like the creature comforts.

I think my kit would look after me. You can buy kit on a low budget and some of it works well but IMHO some key bits of kit are worth splashing out on. I'm happy with a Bergen pack and side pouches as it 'fits' me well and don't cost a lot. I have a few sleeping bags, some down, some synthetic but all well made and expensive and all perform well. Army Goretex bivvy bags are cheap enough but well made and do a grand job (and add a season to your sleeping bag). I've a 20+ year old down jacket which cost me a lot at the time but has served me well in very cold conditions but that said you can pick up an army 'softie' jacket which is synthetic but works extremely certainly with a good layering system in place.

Just a warning on this ARMY 'SOFTIE' JACKET there are many types about now days.But like most things you get what you pay for!
The army issue softie (brand) lookalikes are cheap but dont keep you as warm. I have never been one to really wear often but when i do its freezing so wanted mine to be really warm, i have to say prefer the buffalo 3/4 zip type.

I have an issue jacket and a £25 version off ebay, the cheap one is more than equal to the issue version in my experience.

I have been sleeping outdoors for several months now. I'm okay with it, I have a decent sleep kit and I'm off the ground which is a bonus although this coming week will be interesting due to the change in the weather.

I was more on about the proper versions not £25 roosters of ebay bud.Im sure the 2 you have are comparable, but like said get what you pay for.But as someone has said on here layer systems best.

that is very cool, I had a little woodburner put into my motorome, some travellers made it for me out of a piece of engine and it is great, I can cook on it too. Il take a pic tomorrow and post it.

Morning. new member here have just started the preppers way of thining and will just start with some camping in the garden getting used to my new kit.

P1180133.JPG

Here is my little burner in my truck, It is made out of a double decker bus engine part,

Attachments

• IMG_1627.JPG
    IMG_1627.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 175
Back