• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Does anybody keep geese?

Denidoom

Extremely Talkative
I have been reading up on the different kinds of poultry you can keep and I am tempted by geese? Does anybody have any handy tips or warnings on the subject of keeping geese? I am thinking of a breeding pair, the idea being to rear them for a supply for the pot. Thoughts?

I've never kept geese but I believe you need a lot of grass if you want to fatten them for the pot.

I've never kept geese but I believe you need a lot of grass if you want to fatten them for the pot.

I was reading up on it and I believe you need to feed them more than just the grass if you want to fatten them up. Generally however they survive quite well on just the grass, depending on how much grass they have to graze on and the time of the year. I've been searching trying to find out how much grass they need and if I were to let them free-range in the garden how devastating they would be on the flowerbeds. They would be kept off the allotment part, but was thinking of letting them roam the rest. Lots of different opinions and so was hoping someone on here may have some experience.

My research so far says:

They lay fewer eggs than hens (good for us as hubby can't eat them)
Great lawn mowers and don't dig the lawn up like hens
Can make a mess of paths if free-ranging
Fewer health issues as they don't get mites, just need worming
Good security as they don't like strangers
Cheaper to feed than hens as their main diet is grass
Easy to look after
Even low fences is enough to keep them penned in

They definitely sound better than hens. There is loch I use to fish that had geese in the felid before the shore Man do they hate fishermen lol. It was the best side to fish to. Had to walk right round them to get to the bank lol.

Wild goose season September1st-January31st. Pity the season is over really because the banks of the Wye are covered in geese right now

We have had hundreds, at least, overwintering in the fields near us. Fortunately not on our land. They say that five geese eat as much as one sheep.

We have had hundreds, at least, overwintering in the fields near us. Fortunately not on our land. They say that five geese eat as much as one sheep.

That doesn't seem too bad then, assuming I didn't have more than a pair and one or two goslings at a time.

Back