• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Does anyone have any recommendations for hammocks

Ystranc

Administrator
Staff member
My experience with hammocks is somewhere around zero, I’m looking for something that will cope with my 6’4” 220lbs but will be the kind of thing that can be added to to make it more versatile eg quilt, under quilt or mosquito net. I don’t want to spend a lot all in one go either.
Just about the only thing that I know about hammocks is not to sling them with bungee cord unless you wish to sleep with you backside resting on the ground. :whistle: Any and all advice will be welcome.

Initially I’m thinking no more than about £200 for Tarp, hammock, suspension etc. I was planning to get a more suitable sleeping bag, quilt and under quilt to add to it later.

There is a Henessey Hammock Expedition Delux Zip XXL + easy up carabiners and snake skins on Ebay at the moment.

Being bid for.....current bid is £135........very worth a punt as it suits your needs weight bearing and size wise?

While at your place Mike, Daniel used the DD Frontline hammock with DD under-blanket, self inflating mat and bag and he was fine even at sub-zero. I think I'd have needed my wool blanket too but the Frontline is a decent bit of kit with mozzie net inbuilt and a double layer under you so you can slot in a mat so that it doesn't slide around. You can't remove the net though. I don't know if you'd want to or if there are other makes which allow you to do this.

Spec Sheet for the DD Frontline Hammock
Size2.7m x 1.4m (comfortable for people up to 6ft 5in and 125kg)

They do an XL also DD XL Frontline Hammock | DD Hammocks
Size3m x 1.8m (comfortable for people of any height and up to 125kg)

Must admit I like the look of the Henessey though.

Yep, I'm convinced, I want the one that Bill suggested. :thumbsup:

I have one DD and two TW hammocks. The DD seem to be better made. I use Snugpak underblanket and quilt with self inflating mattress in the lower section for extra insulation. Also have both DD and TW tarps in different sizes. Again DD is the winner. If you wanted you could get a package deal with DD on the tarp, hammock and underblanket.

As above, I have the DD and cannot fault it, and you will fit no worries! 😀👍 I am 6’ 16st and it loses me.

346C8F2A-B1CF-410B-8A9B-065B73779EB9.jpeg

I have a DD frontline , 3x3 tarp and DD under blanket , it has served me well . I also have a basic hammock that I use with a snugpak cocoon in the winter .

I have seen the Hennessy hammocks and they are nice , definitely on the small side so I would defo go XL if your a bigger guy .I am not sure about HH thermal liner that they sell , looks a faff to me and my buddy took a while to get used to the sleeping position .

I am just about to list a Napsack Hammocks Trekker plus on EBay that is massive and double skin so will take a big guy comfortably if you’re interested?

I can't add much to what has already been said. I too have used a DD Frontline successfully, along with the DD underblanket and a 3/4 length inflatable mat. The only other thing worth mentioning, IMHO, is that a set of tree huggers, carabiners and some whoopee slings make suspension that much easier - £26.50 from DD for the complete system.

You could probably jury-rig a DD under blanket on it but from my memory the hammock has two tie out points the support its asymmetric shape which is what will make other products hard to fit . I don’t think Hennessy do an under blanket (?) but they do a thermal liner ….

Maybe they do …

My experience with hammocks is somewhere around zero, I’m looking for something that will cope with my 6’4” 220lbs but will be the kind of thing that can be added to to make it more versatile eg quilt, under quilt or mosquito net. I don’t want to spend a lot all in one go either.
Just about the only thing that I know about hammocks is not to sling them with bungee cord unless you wish to sleep with you backside resting on the ground. :whistle: Any and all advice will be welcome.
Mike, the bay to go to for all things hammock is Mark @Ark79.He would definitely advise against slinging a hammock with bungees :whistle:

You could probably jury-rig a DD under blanket on it but from my memory the hammock has two tie out points the support its asymmetric shape which is what will make other products hard to fit . I don’t think Hennessy do an under blanket (?) but they do a thermal liner ….

Maybe they do …

I’ve seen a modded under quilt with six small tabs sewn into it. Two tabs at each end to allow tensioning and one each side that correspond to the guy lines, all attaching to the guy lines and ridge line with fine shock cord to allow a little adjustment. That will probably do for me until I can get hold of a dedicated Hennessy under cover.

I like a nice lightweight set up for summer (with bug net ) and then a well insulated set up with a bigger or close able tarp for winter 👍

Back