• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Does Anyone Use One Of These (Dangerous!?) Stoves? #1.

Sharpfinger

Slightly Addicted
Aye Up,

I wasn’t too sure where this fitted (Survival?) so I’ve posted it where perhaps most people who use one might see it.

These stoves are pretty ubiquitous throughout the world let alone the U.K.
I had owned and used one on a regular basis for at least 10 years until about 18 months ago. And had never had any issues with it.
I had always ensured that the canister was correctly fitted and locked in and that the flame was well out before disconnecting the canister.

This was the case on the day that things went wrong and I experienced a serious flare up with the canister which could have led to injury or worse.
And it wasn’t user error.

The actual material (some kind of cheap mazac type metal) of the gas valve on the stove had suffered deterioration to the point that a male/female threaded portion was no longer holding as it should have.

This meant that the canister could be held apparently securely in place, with the canister valve open but gas could potentially leak around the stove valve - whilst the stove was lit.

On the occasion that mine ‘lit up’ there was fortunately no pot/pan on top and I had instinctively grabbed and launched the stove down the side of the house where it could either explode or burn out relatively safely.

On recovering the stove it was clear that the canister was still locked in position.
On releasing the canister the gas valve on the stove fell apart.
Close inspection identified stress cracks in the female threaded portion of the gas valve.

I subsequently learned that law suits have already taken place here and abroad where people have been injured.

And to be fair not all these type of stoves which outwardly appear identical have exactly the same connection at the stove valve.

But I’d check if you/your offspring do own one!

PS these are just some of the images sent to trading standards.

74F20EB4-8C1E-454B-8A52-CCD764DA75F8.jpeg

CD09F710-174B-43AB-83D7-6B2A1799403D.jpeg

FA2AB378-460E-437F-BBDD-803358F9FAC7.jpeg

4C7B39DB-3094-442F-BA1F-D1B4864B7B37.jpeg

Did use one just like that but I’ve stopped after another forum member pointed out the problems with them,,, mine worked fine however am not taking the risk…. Good post sharpfinger 👍🏻

I don't own one, never have done but I did once manage to blow up one of those petrol army surplus stoves

there’s an element of danger with any stove to be fair…. But most is through someone not paying attention to what there doing 👎 however these stoves are , or should be deemed inadequate….

The incident with my own stove prompted me to research online for any other recorded instances.
There were many!

By a strange coincidence I came across an online outdoors magazine who had just featured an incident where one of these stoves had exploded. That one had been put down to user error caused by an oversized pan being put on the burner ring and which had directed heat directly towards the canister housing - an action rightly advised against in some instructions. However there are numerous instances where these stoves are sold with a ‘hub cap’ sized (remember those anyone?) Barbeque pan/plate which does exactly that - directs heat towards the canister!

After enquiry with my local H&S organisation they directed me to local Trading Standards who requested a detailed report of the event with images. I also supplied them with the history of incidents which I had discovered on line. Weeks later they contacted me and asked what I wanted to achieve from reporting it to them?
I responded how about a nationwide advert on TV warning about the situation?

They decided to first pass the information to Trading Standards in Kent where a previous law suit had already been pursued by someone who had been burned by one of these stoves (I think he ‘won’ a grand).
There was also a sanction against the importers if I recall correctly.

I haven’t heard a word in 18 months.

I avoid camp sites and festivals now.

Anyone seen the advert on TV in case I missed it?

I’ve got two of them and have never really had a problem with either. I am careful not to use too big a pan as per the instructions on mine. I’ve see. Other versions and there are definitely differences between similar stoves.

Nasty things......accidents waiting to happen :(

In the current "staycation" situation it's frightening to think how many more of the same type have been sold to unsuspecting people/families.
As well as the problems already pointed out.......another problem is the purchasing of the cheap gas cans.......20x for £1 :rolleyes::confused:

Most definitely safer and better options out there.

Given how many have been sold I’m willing to bet the accident/failure rate is pretty low and a number of the accidents are user failure rather than design fault.

Further to my comment above ^^^^ re the type of gas canisters being used.

How many family campers would be aware or ignorant of this potentially life saving.....serious injury saving precaution?
Even experienced users?............a can of gas..... is a can of gas right?...... no.......thats wrong.

These stoves should be made so that users are NOT able to use oversized pans on the stove......it would not be difficult.

Further to my comment above ^^^^ re the type of gas canisters being used.

How many family campers would be aware or ignorant of this potentially life saving.....serious injury saving precaution?
Even experienced users?............a can of gas..... is a can of gas right?...... no.......thats wrong.

These stoves should be made so that users are NOT able to use oversized pans on the stove......it would not be difficult.
Aye Up 1 shot,

Great info.
That video is cracking - I didn’t know about the crv - I have read that some of the stove suppliers recommend that only a specific canister (their own brand) should be used but how many of us see that as a way for them to make more money from us and when we see cheaper bulk buys of canisters elsewhere think - Oooh, I’ll stock up on them!

The video in the video where the stove is seen to explode is truly shocking. It’s like an incendiary bomb!
When my stove went up the initial fire ball was about two feet in diameter, luckily I was just off to the side of it and the canister was almost empty otherwise……

And here is another issue with them as reported in an online camping mag - incorrect use of the pan support!
I know this is user error but imagine some youngster (at a festival for example) who hasn’t read the instructions (if there were any to hand) and inadvertantly uses the support incorrectly!

90BE94E0-2BB0-4FC7-9E4A-0F16FB7EFEDE.png

Finally - see image of the barby addition with the pan over the canister housing - sold on Amazon.
I know that the item unlike a pot/pan has an open base so that theoretically heat should only be directed upwards but even so the edge of it does heat up and bring heat into the vicinity of the canister housing - I know - I‘ve got one

AFC8BD38-61E8-4ACD-98AD-4AEBE76E8B25.jpeg

Back