• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Does Anyone Use One Of These (Dangerous!?) Stoves? #1.

Given how many have been sold I’m willing to bet the accident/failure rate is pretty low and a number of the accidents are user failure rather than design fault.

The number of reported incidents are probably lower than the number of actual incidents.
When multiple instances of the same/similar mistakes are inadvertently occurring that suggests that something is inherently wrong with the design or the principle of use.

I think that not only is the stove gas valve unsafe as evidenced, the push-fit design of these stoves is inherently unsafe. Why else would they now be manufacturing canisters with a CRV?

Within the correspondence that I had with Retreating Standards they told me that ahead of sanctions they try to work with manufacturers to address a problem. I suggested that the stove should be redesigned with the stove valve made for example in brass and that it uses only a screw on canister. Of course they wouldn’t then be able to knock them out for a few Yen and they would have to compete with better made/safer stoves.

I just wonder if anyone cares that the environments in which these stoves are used often involves youngsters and children.

SF said:

"That video is cracking - I didn’t know about the crv - I have read that some of the stove suppliers recommend that only a specific canister (their own brand) should be used but how many of us see that as a way for them to make more money from us and when we see cheaper bulk buys of canisters elsewhere think - Oooh, I’ll stock up on them!"

Well.....there you go....hearing that from what we presume to be an experienced camper....outdoors person like yourself.....kind of brings the point home about the specific CRV canisters.
Even with the knowledge of the CRV canisters......users.....Mums......Dads.....with hungry children to feed may not know or realise the dangers of using a large pan......to them.....its just a stove!!!

Most people/families want to save a few bob where they can.......but at what eventual cost to themselves or others?

Still do not rate them at all :rolleyes:

Back