• Welcome to Life In The Wilderness

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Doomsday clock two minutes to midnight

Ystranc

Worrying but not unexpected with the way nuclear powers are posturing. It's not too late to start on that bunker you always wanted to build.

lonewolf

Neo Luddite Prepared Survivalist.
what with the USA vs North Korea thing I cant say i'm surprised.

Roddas

Slightly Talkative
what with the USA vs North Korea thing I cant say i'm surprised.
Not to mention the turkey and Syria thing going on as well now with clashes possible between NATO members if that gets out of hand, there is a lot going on round the planet that could easily put that clock to midnight at the moment, very worrying times ahead I believe.

greenbear

Extremely Addicted
There a lot of global tensions right now and, I do wonder if President Trump's bombastic approach to global diplomacy is also being taken into account (not just the NK issue).

Ystranc

he's no diplomat that's for sure, he says it like it is, which after years of career presidents is like a breath of fresh air.
It's just a pity that this breath of fresh air stinks like s**t. The only reason that he had any chance at all was that he was running against the hated Hillary. It was a 50/50 split over which bad choice America accepted. (A bit like our UK politics at the moment, nothing but self serving arse holes as far as the eye can see)

lonewolf

I agree with you about the self serving bit.
I think America under Hillary would have been much worse than Trump, I think they would have been at war already, not with NK but with Russia, Hillary's lot have Russians on the brain.

lonewolf

yep, the Democrats are fixated on anything Russian, it wasn't Hillary who lost the election it was the Russians!!:rofl:

swamp rat

Extremely Talkative
he's no diplomat that's for sure, he says it like it is, which after years of career presidents is like a breath of fresh air.
i totally agree with you, it is a breath of fresh air, if all politician's took his approach and stopped beating about the bush, the world may not be in the state it is now, I am a Trump fan

The Boogie Man

Quite Addicted
Yet how things change, once determined to "Drain the Swamp", he now employs crazed War Pig Bolton who will undoubtedly push for Military action, folks---it's a con job trump is nothing more than a tool, like all politicians. What's this got to do with prepping, simple, nutcases like this make the planet a far more dangerous place and we need to keep informed and abreast of current developments.

Baytree

Slightly Addicted
An american poster on another forum I use summed it up by saying there was a feeling that with Trump there could be a war , with Clinton there would be a war. As a complete outsider it appears to me as if neither party actually wanted to win and put up their worrst candidates.
But whichever politician or country has caused the clock to tick a few more seconds is largely immaterial , being on the "right" side or the "wrong" side isn't going to make anyone more or less at risk. Best any of us can do is to just keep on preparing for ourselves. Am I going to start building a bunker , no , am I going to continue planting my garden and maintaining my stores , yes.

MikeR

Slightly Addicted
An american poster on another forum I use summed it up by saying there was a feeling that with Trump there could be a war , with Clinton there would be a war. As a complete outsider it appears to me as if neither party actually wanted to win and put up their worrst candidates.
But whichever politician or country has caused the clock to tick a few more seconds is largely immaterial , being on the "right" side or the "wrong" side isn't going to make anyone more or less at risk. Best any of us can do is to just keep on preparing for ourselves. Am I going to start building a bunker , no , am I going to continue planting my garden and maintaining my stores , yes.
That is my sentiment exactly. The world is run by a bunch of (insert your favourite insult here) and we delude ourselves if we think the ordinary man in the street holds any sway over what happens. I've reached an age where I don't really care what's happening in the wider world, because there is precious little I can do about it. It might affect me, it might not. Either way I'm simply buggering on and doing my best to reduce the impact of world events on me and mine.
I enjoy a simple life and concluded long ago that the less you have, the less you worry about losing it. I don't have a lot.:)

The Cat In The Hat

Slightly Talkative
I am inclined to think that our government is trying to initiate some kind of war with Russia especially over this weird poisoning thing which the more I look into it looks like a home made false flag. I do like to keep my finger on the political pulse just to get a feeling for what might be incoming. I think more concerning is the potential food shortages and many world wide crop failures and the grand solar minimum. I think if people start to go hungry it will get ugly quickly.

hodgson

Extremely Talkative
I dont get the Russian poisoning thing. Its so obviously traceable that why would Russia use it? Then again it is so obviously traceable it would be easy to use it to set a false trail. From what I understand Russia manufactured it but other countries have some to help them develop antidotes so while the main source could be Russia it isnt the only source. Interesting coincidence that it happened close to Porton Down the government research establishment? Anyway thinking outside the box, looking for ideas, what if....governments recognising that Russia was meddling with elections and referendum and such wanted to overturn the outcomes. Now most people would insist that their opinion was unbiased and should stand, unless hate, distrust, dislike could be stirred up against the source of the meddling ie Russia? If Brexiteers for examply could be shown that their vote had been manipulated by nasty Russia who poisons people here on our streets, who has big Nucs, who hates us.....perhaps then they would also want another referendum?
Now I'm not going to say Brexit in itself is good or bad, and some people would ask why would Russia want us out of the EU but all the time and energy that this government has put into Brexit, what isnt being done meanwhile?

Ystranc

1st point, I think the moment for a second referendum has already passed, we are committed.
2ndpoint, To understand why Russia would poison someone so publicly is difficult until you look at the history of how Russian espionage and politics are so intertwined. It is about sending messages both to a domestic audience and foreign governments. Basically the reasoning goes; They've done it before and got away with it, why not do it again because the British government didn't have the balls to stand up to them last time. The message is that "they are strong and can do what they wish, no one can do anything to them"...it makes them appear more powerful to their domestic population and vassle states while acting as a warning to hostile nations..."don't mess with us, we don't play by your rules...we play by ours.

Last edited:

38thfoot

Very Addicted
You only have to look at the litvinyenko case to understand the Russian government approach to messaging.

They had an outspoken critic of putin who they could have killed any number of ways but they chose to poison by polonium so he literally fell apart in front of the worlds media. They did this with no attempt at subtorfuge, his killers made no attempt to hide their tracks and the Russian government refused to Co-operate with the british investigation. The message is “we are Russia, we are strong and we do what we want; you may have got out alive but that can be changed so keep quiet”.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but I find most “false flag” theories to be slightly laughable. We are supposed to believe that the Russians are too clever to be so obvious but the British are so stupid or maybe lazy that we would carry out a false flag op a few miles down the road from our chemical research centre.....

hodgson

Extremely Talkative
Everyone is entitled to an opinion but if you start laughing when someone states an opinion then you obviously dont believe that. I wasnt stating an opinion merely trying to have an exchange of ideas on a subject.