• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Down to the sea

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
After the very strong winds of a couple of days ago today was mild and sunny and by about 11.00 hours seemed almost Springlike. The lake glittered in the sunshine as I crossed the bridge to take the track through the woods to the beach.
DSCF6490.JPG

The way into the wood today was to climb the stone steps built into the Estate wall. They were built into the wall at about the same time the bridge was built around 1790, so they have served well.
DSCF6492.JPG

Up the steps and into the wood
DSCF6493.JPG

The Autumn sun reaches into the wood and the bright red berries of the Spindle Tree catch the light and look like red jewels hanging on the branches
DSCF6495.JPG

The Berries hang in the warm sun while the base of the tree is in the cool damp where Sphagnum Moss grows on the trunk.
DSCF6496.JPG

The Spindle Tree is named for the straight slender branches it gave to make the hand Spindles used by the wool yarn spinners of centuries ago.
Out through the wood into the open meadow and an animal trail is obvious through the long grass. By it's direction and form I'm pretty sure that I know what made this trail.
DSCF6498.JPG

A brief pause to look at the small Puff Balls that grow in this area. On a completely still, silent night I've heard the muted 'pop' as they burst allowing their spores to disperse. The process has already started with at least one, I see.
DSCF6499.JPG
DSCF6500.JPG

The animal trail goes under the barbed wire fence and evidence is left confirming my suspicions..Ha! Mr Badger, can't fool me..
DSCF6503.JPG

The Badger Hair is strong and pliable and was in the past used to make Shaving Brushes and Brushes for Artists and Illustrators.

The feint circular outline and stone remnants of one of the Iron Age Settlements which existed here.
DSCF6510.JPG

And a rest stop at the Memorial built in later centuries to the ancient people who lived here. It's hot now, too hot for the British Army
windproof Smock I've been wearing.

DSCF6513.JPG

DSCF6516.JPG

Time to sit in silence in the warm sunshine in company with the ancient spirits, while the rest of the modern world spins in chaos.

DSCF6514.JPG

Down to the Beach and a calm sea after recent wild days. Church Rock is not drenched in spray today, although the debris of the recent wild weather litters the sand and entrance to the Spillway that runs through to the nearby lakes.
DSCF6521.JPG

DSCF6517.JPG

Home through the wood. This little wildflower is a member of the Geranium family, Herb Robert (G. robertianum) It's also called by some country folk, Stinking Bob...A little unfairly I think, although when crushed it's leaves have a peculiar 'Mousey smell' .
DSCF6507.JPG

And speaking of Mice..Walking through the wood, a flash of red colour caught my eye..An empty plastic container which once held 'Salt Lick' a nutrient given to Sheep, had blown into the wood and filled with rain water,
DSCF6523.JPG

Floating in the water was the body of a long dead Wood Mouse, an unlucky victim of Man's unintentional littering. I tipped him out and covered him with soil and carried the container to the nearest gateway where hopefully it will be recovered by the local Farmer.

Home past the Standing Stone of the Prehistoric people.

DSCF6497.JPG

DSCF6512.JPG

happy0034.gif

Attachments

• DSCF6499.JPG
    DSCF6499.JPG
    556.9 KB · Views: 137
Fantastic, as per, Sax. I do enjoy your 'show and tell' threads, you're a knowledgeable fellah.

Lovely Sax......does it get busy around there?.......more in the Summer months I expect.
Many opportunities for a overnighter or longer :thumbsup:

It is a National Trust Estate Bill, and visitors tend to fall into 2 groups. There are the middle aged people who arrive with a small hairy dog in tow and venture no more than a mile or so from the car parks, or younger families walking the regular easy paths down to the beach, but even in the height of summer it has never been busy. It's a few miles from Town, with very limited public transport, even in summer, so not within easy staggering distance of oiks who leave beer cans around burnt patches of ground...

I've sussed a few Bivvy spots for overnight stops, and longer stays, certainly Hammock trips in the wood are no problem but most of the ground is sloping and not so good for ground dwelling Bunnies like me.

Sax

This is a wonderful writing and pics. All the more evocative for your knowledge and obvious care for the site. I recognise it from the Google Earth site I investigated yesterday, but different sections.

The Iron Age sites are fascinating ( my wife was an archaeologist back in the day) and it’s clear to see the attraction of such a fertile coastal area to ancient communities. The rugged shore reminds me of the southern Cornish coastline of Arthurian legend.

Your burial of the maus is a ritual that I go through frequently through our dry season. Our mice are marsupial mice, and although troublesome when they get into the house and into the pantry, I always take care to give a respectful burial if one falls into a water trough or tank trying to quench its thirst. We need to respect the natural world at an individual level just as we need to respect it as a society.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful knowledge with so many of us

Alan

Back