• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Draws in rear of 4x4

edd5322

Extremely Talkative
Guys i been thinking i need some storage in the back of my Navara pick up,had the idea i will put some draws in the floor.Anyone got experience with doing this, i have looked on line and doesnt seem to hard.

Any tips would be grateful

I had a gun safe in the back of an old RangeRover but it was factory fitted, I have no experience of anything like that beyond panaling out a van.
What materials were you planning to use?

Pinterest has some examples some of which have links to suppliers.

Alternatively look at a adventure travel forum such as the HUBB on horizons unlimited.

Cheers 38 will try have a look.
Thats where i got the idea in first place pinterest.

I had a gun safe in the back of an old RangeRover but it was factory fitted, I have no experience of anything like that beyond panaling out a van.
What materials were you planning to use?

Was just thinking MDF or somethink simlar really,doesnt look to hard but people with experience always make things look easy haha

Easy enough to carpet over the MDF afterward with something thin that matches, just to make it look professional. I find it makes the van much quieter.

not bothered about the noise its in the pick up part.

You could look at some of the largely American truck camper websites such as:

http://ourstreamlinedlife.com/truck-camping-platform-2-0/

Rather than the complexity of proper draws you could use long low plastic tubs sized to fit either side of a central supporting strut. It would be cheaper and you could leave stuff packed for different purposes or take the tubs out completely to put other stuff in.

If the table top was just resting on the truck bed it could be taken out completely and stored vertically against a wall taking up little space.

Cheers 38th similar to what i was planning but i think i do prefer real draws less the runners, but might still use the storage boxes inside those.

Wouldn’t use MDF mate if water gets to that it will swell. Marine ply is the best bet. More expensive but longer lasting and easier and lighter to work with depending on thickness right enough.

Cheers ark thats exactly why i thought i would ask on here,thanks all for imput.

MDF can be sealed and can also be purchased in weathertight varieties but marine ply may be a better option.

I reenact and I've fitted out a couple of vans and trailers so everything has it's place. One thing I have seen , although not done myself , is to fit a false floor around six inches or so above the original van floor thus creating a series of long narrow compartments in which people slide pole arms , tent poles and the like from the back of the van normally. I would say to use ply in preference to MDF , it's much more resilient to damage . Standard exterior Orr simple shuttering ply is more than adequate for the moisture it will encounter inside a vehicle , marine ply is more expensive although it may give more peace of mind.

Think marine ply is the way to go(but thanks for the info) as i dont think the rear of the pick up is 100% waterproof.

If water is getting in then marine ply is probably a better option. That said I would be looking at preventing those leaks as well. If any construction you put in traps moisture it could have a detrimental effect on both the vehicle body and anything you wish to store in it.

The dogs go in there to so not to interested in plugging all the gaps really Baytree, but i understand what you mean bud.

Back