• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Dried Milk Powder

swamp rat

Extremely Talkative
I was thinking about getting some dried milk powder, but the price of it is really high in the supermarkets
any subjections where to buy it
and the same for pancake mix

I only have a couple of tubs of dried milk for emergency use, which to date have never been used and get chucked out and replaced when they reach their expiry date.
I buy them in Lidl or Tesco's and so far price hasn't been an issue.

ok thanks guys
the amazon milk dose not say the expire date on the web page and is expensive lol
I will have a look in lidi on the weekend

we have just eaten 2 overdated(expiry date 2015) small tins of mackerel, with some potatoes and broad beans.
in perfect condition- no different to other tins in stock dated 2019- went down a treat!!:lol:

While clearing all my food stocks to fellow preppers I tried several OOD foods, Luncheon meat (2004), Sardines (2006) Corned beef (2006) Coca Cola (2011), Stella Artois (2012) army rat pack boil in bag meals (2002)...all were fine bar the rat pack fruit dumpling in custard which had turned to watery mush. The Duncans chocolate bars were fine too.

I've found that cheap dried milk goes minging in no time, the Nido lasts years.

i'll have to take your word for it on the dried milk, seeing as how mine will only be used in an emergency and its no great problem if I have to throw it out!:D

Get good quality dried milk LW, its used in so much cooking its a must have, certainly for me.

its a "nice to have" but not essential for me, again in my planning its something I can live without.

Milk is used in countless recipes plus its a near complete food on its own, really it should be an essential part of your stocks.

that's what my preps are for. to supplement those times.

Last edited:
correct, or in my case its when we run out of UHT milk:lol: which ever hardly happens as I check my stocks regularly.

In fairness,we stock uht,powder is awful ( in our opinion),and we keep it in for when the goats are not lactating.

we store uht MILK not powder, we've been drinking it for nearly 20 years, it keeps longer than ordinary milk and dosent need refridgerating until you open the carton.
I normally keep about 24 x1 litre cartons, these last about 6-8 weeks, after that its on to the milk powder, which dosent happen in normal circumstances as I rotate my stocks and do a monthly replenishment shop.

Last edited:
We keep UHT as a back up, it usually has around 3 months until use by date, it's also great for making yogurt. Storage isn't an issue for us, one thing I don't lack is space. I'm not a fan of powdered milk but we keep some in our dry store barrels.

I don't stock much dried milk powder, usually a tin or two, the milk and the powder would probably run out about the same time as the coffee does!!

Back