• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Dried Milk Powder

I know this is drifting away from milk to tea but my 2p worth. I do like my tea , I prefer it with milk but can drink it black , no sugar . We do have a stock of dried and tinned milk. I've never been that impressed with herbal teas , I can drink them but find most to be fairly insipid. Lemon balm isn't too bad and I also have white horehound in the garden which tastes foul but is great for sore throats. The closest I've ever tried that comes close to proper tea is rosebay willow herb. Conviently , it's a very common weed , grows everywhere and is easy to pick. I simply remove the roots (more because of the dirt than anything else) dry and use . On a related note I've also made coffee from dandelion roots. I don't drink coffee but my wife does and she though the results were ok but not outstanding. As there is no caffeine we tried blending a quarter real coffee which improved it hugely. The factor that has stopped us repeating it though is simply the amount of work involved verses the cost of a jar of cheap instant.
Now if I could just think of an alternative for milk that doesn't involve cows or goats or sheep...No suggestions about Baldrick's dandruff please.

There's nut milks and apparently oat milk is supposed to be acceptable and you can make them at home, but I'm a traditionalist. I'd find someone with a cow or goats and barter for milk.

Keeping cattle is a helluva commitment, while goats milk and sheeps milk tastes rather different they can both be used in exactly the same way. It's only my opinion but I would say keeping a hardy breed of goats or sheep on a small scale would be much more realistic. Meat, milk, butter and compost.
On the subject of dandelion coffee, if you pull the whole plant after an extended period of rain it tends to come up with the entire root much more easily.

Very true . In my , admittedly limited , experience the larger the root the better with regards to making coffee ( more result) which often unfortunately corresponds to deeper harder to pull out .

Mike , nut milks , I'd forgotten about them . Perhaps I should look at making it from my almond tree.

I've not done anything like it myself, Baytree but it's worth a go if you have access to Almonds.
On further investigation, Oat milk is only good when using cold.

I have just brought a couple of 500g tubs of milk powder for long term storage as I think it would be good to use for porridge and coffee as long as I had those things. I brought mine from amazon

Back