• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Driving and surviving in extreme snow conditions

lee

Slightly Obsessed
A few of my trusted and tested snow survival vehicle techniques this is not a definitive guide but what I've learned over many years out in rural areas and on motorways in both cars and 4x4s snow.

First off dress correctly with layers of clothing (if your not already wearing them pack HAT gloves, wellies/boots) and spare socks in a bag along with water and high energy snack food, a flask of hot drink or your brew kit, torch with batteries and phone charger at a minimum.
Also consider packing a sleeping bag/blanket for everyone in the vehicle.

This is how I kit up and have/and would deal with sever snow conditions.
Carry any old cheap tarp for emergency shelter.
Fill up your tank with fuel even if you don't need to. You might end up running your engine all night or going on long diversions.
Carry 10 meters of good rope and jump leads.
Carry a hand hand axe and knife this will enable you to process wood and also gain entry to the occupants of any crashed vehicles you may come across or be involved in, it can also be used to quickly smash away any obstructing bumper wing damage you may have occurred in a crash with your vehicle (so you can still drive your vehicle and not be stranded) It can also be used to get your self out of your vehicle if you don't carry a exit tool (See my uk knife carry law on the forum)

Most vehicles now have spare bulb kits onboard if not you probaly carry one anyway, pack tin foil and cling film both can be used to repair broken lights or windows as well as keeping you warm in an emergency.

Carry a shovel, first aid kit and a fire extinguisher.

Carry a good few litres of water as you may overheat running your engine at slow speeds or stationary for long periods plus your cooling system could develope a leak or your cooling fan could fail.

Carry at least 1 bag of road salt.

Carry a tyre pump (old fashion foot pump as you don't want to be messing around changing a blown lighter fuse for a 12v inflator)

Take at least 1 full fuel can of fuel, you can use it as emergency de-icer (petrol will work as antifreeze but diesel is not recommended for such use) and it will give you reassurance if you hit the vehicle fuel reserve, 5 litres of fuel will give a vehicle between a 15-35 miles range.

Carry anti freeze. I carry 2 litres neat and a 5 litre mix of 30% antifreeze 70% water, I use the mixed one to clear windows, wipers and lights, I do not bother with spray de-icers as you only end up carrying one and that's soon gone. Add some anti freeze to your window washer mix.
Warning: antifreeze can damage psintwork use at your own risk. (I personally have never damaged vehicle paint with the above mix ratio)

Carry your fire lighting kit if you have one or 2 lighters, If you find your self with neither you can light a fire with your vehicle cigarette lighter, it will light tinder like a bow drill ember does.

When I'm going out in serious snow conditions i carry a bag of dried logs in the vehicle that I know will not fail me along with Marine flares, these will get any fire started and also good for signalling.

If you do end up stuck overnight in a rural area light a fire to keep warm, it will make others know your stranded but do this away from the road, your vehicle and buildings and stay awake until dawn, if your vehicle is still stranded or unusable at dawn walk to the nearest visable help, remember everything is so much easier in the light! Do not sit in your vehicle on the road unless that's your very last option.

If your stuck with others and you know there is no immediate rescue take control of the situation and lead the other motorists, get a fire going and don't be shy to be the first to chuck your spare wheel on the fire, others will soon follow when the fire gets low :rofl: I personally would not be sitting I'm my vehicle for 20 hours! It would be communal tyre fire on the motorway bank lol with hot chocolate and peanuts.

What to do in continuous poor driving conditions with average speed under 25mph i.e. country lanes/hills for more traction reduce all tyre pressures by 50% percent. You must reinflate the tyres once you hit clear Tarmac.

If your stuck in the snow, go back in reverse the way you came if you can not do so use these methods either singialy or in conjunction:

Use. 2nd or higher gears instead of first gear to pull away (this applies to both Auto or manual), put salt, your vehicle mats or anything else like fir tree branches, twigs in fact anything you can find to get traction under the drive tyres, keep the stearing wheel straight, use lots of power if your still stuck use high intermittent revs this will often 'rock' the vehicle out, last resort deflate the tyres to 10 psi and repeated you WILL get out eventually do not give up! Once out reinflate the tyres (Don't forget your tyre pump and/or 4 cans of tyre weld)

Take action fast DO NOT wait for rescue, it may NOT come.

Final edit timed out appoliges for grammar and missing info. . . .

Carry a High Vis jacket or vest, not only will you be seen in poor visibility conditions it will give reassurance to anyone your assisting and help you establish your group leadership.

Carry at least one emergency warning light or triangle.

Back