• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Ducking and diving.

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
On a scale of 1 to 10 my computer knowledge is a struggling 2 at most, which allows me to get by on forums or searching for kit, emailing the kids or even storing photos. Perhaps in my ignorance I see threats and intrusions which more knowledgeable people simply ignore, but I'm amazed how "suggestions" appear when searching, or suddenly Amazon pops up when I search for something which when I look on the Amazon website, states " Not known when new stock available" or something similar....

The result is that for some years I've played the ' Ok try and track me game.' I don't know if anyone can see, but I'm typing this (with one finger) on a Browser which prevents...as far as I can tell...much of the tracking and snooping which goes on with things connected with the mighty Mr Google. All this leads me sadly to announce that even my secret Squirrel Browser has fallen prey to the powerful spying Masters...

Message from Browser below....Quote...

"True, free private search on a large scale is impossible to offer at present. We have tried for years now to obtain another private search partnership since Google annulled ours, but it simply isn’t possible. It’s cost us hundreds of thousands of dollars (even with the donations from thousands of you) over the past few years to keep Epic going. The expense is so great at our scale we couldn’t ..."

And so my sneaky beaky search facility is no longer Googleproof...Although Epic do offer a limited but paid for facility.
It would seem that Google simply does not like or allow searches to be made unless they can obtain information on the searcher..

The point of all this waffle from me is, that if my posts suddenly appear in an Uzbekistan dialect..it means I've found another, at least temporary Google/ Chrome/ Microsoft nosey proof Browser...:lol:

Just as an addition...I've learned that some search engines which claim not to pass on info omit to state clearly that they are still forced to pass on some personal info...otherwise they too, get "Annulled"....

On with the game....:rofl:

I've been told that duckduckgo.com search engine does not track activity. How true that is I do not know but I use it in preference to Google.

IPVanish is a reliable VPN service which can be used in conjunction with a more secure browser. Firefox is supposed to be the best of the main ones but Tor browser is supposed to be the best for privacy.

btw Tor browser is based on Firefox "9.0.4 (based on Mozilla Firefox 68.4.1esr) (64-bit)"

Best to assume that if you type something then someone else will be able to access it, if you say something out loud it can be heard. Don't be surprised if someone seeks to profit from the information

Big Brother is definitely watching ......

I don't know if its Big Brother as such, more the assorted online Delboy's who pay to see what you're looking at instead of 'da man'. I don't know enough about it and I suppose it all has to be paid for somehow. I'd be happy paying a nominal amount each month to stop the snooping but I don't know if that's a 'thing'. I really don't care if the government is spying on me, apart from some forums its youtube and some fairly mainstream 'other' stuff, they'd get bored with me pretty quick.

I fully accept that anything I type onto the Internet is fair game, but what I don't like is the tracking and information gathering carried out when I simply click onto any website. My recent searches for vehicle insurance using some Browsers was a real eye opener, and resulted in a deluge of unwanted junk, just for looking. Obviously a result of tracking my earlier enquiries I imagine.

" I've been told that duckduckgo.com search engine does not track activity. How true that is I do not know but I use it in preference to Google. "

I too have been using Duckduckgo, Gizmo.....unfortunately....the following is part of the message I quoted earlier from the Browser I have been using. It seems they are still forced to reveal IP's and locations or be 'annulled'...

"We believe it is impossible at present to offer honest, free private search. We‘ve received many requests to support so-called private search engines such as Startpage, DuckDuckGo and others. To our knowledge there are no exceptions to Google/Bing mandates to share a user’s IP address and or location both to retrieve search ads and upon search ad click. It is misleading to claim to be private if you’re sharing your users’ data with Google/Bing. Despite multiple requests, they refuse to explain to us how they work. "

None of this matters really, in fact they are probably bored rigid, by my meanderings around the Internet, it's just that I object someone "following me round the shops" .....It's like walking through the Market Place it downtown Port Suez...No I do not want to buy a freakin' stuffed toy Camel...bog off....:lol:..:lol:

Virtual private networking.Google Chrome has a Do not track option in its settings. It's called the world wide Web for a reason, once your information is in there that's it, wrapped up for all the little spiders to see. There's only one way to be 100% sure that you and your info cannot be tracked. Turn off yer tinternet, and computer and phone then chuck em away! ;) :rofl: :rofl:

" There's only one way to be 100% sure that you and your info cannot be tracked. Turn off yer tinternet, and computer and phone then chuck em away! "............:lol:

Not me, I don't roll over that easy........that means they've won...If they want it, I'll make them work for it... :rofl:

Back