• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

dyeing Mil surplus poly cotton fabrics

This suits me fine because I'm a civilian worker on an army base and coming in wearing a combat jacket of either MTP or DPM would make me look like a real Walt. I like the way this really functional jacket can be made rather subtle for civilian wear dying.

I often dye Desert DPM camo with an olive green dye and get this effect. Im more than happy with it. However if it looks crap in your opinion I wont be upset if you say so
Hello, just bought a cheap DDPM shirt on ebay with the intention of making it a bright emerald green colour. Do you think that will actually be possible given the beige and brown already present throwing off the hues? Your one with olive green dye is definitely more drab now but it's still more brown than green from that photo.

Hello, just bought a cheap DDPM shirt on ebay with the intention of making it a bright emerald green colour. Do you think that will actually be possible given the beige and brown already present throwing off the hues? Your one with olive green dye is definitely more drab now but it's still more brown than green from that photo.
Use forest green if you want to get that effect. Dylon washing machine is my choice.

This is the effect I get dying in washing machine using Dylon olive green dye. I also put a nikwax washing waterproof as well in the third wash. The result is I get a very good subtle combat jackets that also waterproof

Attachments

• IMG_20210429_195631827.jpg
    IMG_20210429_195631827.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_20210429_195555369.jpg
    IMG_20210429_195555369.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 347
I decided against mixing the brown with the orange, which appears to have been a good decision as the results (even with much less dye than I really need) were very close to what I desired. It's not quite chocolate brown, but it seems to be somewhere between coyote and nutria brown instead.
bddpm0.jpg

It's far more compatible with my Nutria boonie now.
bddpm1.jpg

Comparison with undyed DDPM rank sleeve.
bddpm2.jpg

Any idea what I should use the orange dye on?

Ohhh you should not have asked that šŸ¤­........you will probably get a few...."Colourful"? suggestions :D

Jacket look's good :thumbsup:

Buy some reactive dye for the washing machine. Was going to fork out Ā£45 and more for one of the Kommando store dyed dpm tops but figured I might as well try it myself. Looks noice.

Bought Ā£6 dylon machine dye and a Ā£12 surplus shop ddpm shirt. 150g of brown dye bought out this colour (in hindsight would have used 200g)

FE90FFF7-29F3-4705-8D61-1436B4AD4130.jpeg

I Mostly used KommandoStore for inspo on dying dpm British Desert 'Nightshade' DPM Field Shirt.

I've dyed a few smocks over the years two I still have are a Swedish army smock (overhead design) which I dyed orange and this looks brilliant, it reminds me of an old action man explorer smock or similar. I also have a desert cam windproof which I kept when I left the army and this I dyed expresso brown, or mud brown as I see it, the colour never took 100% but it did well enough to give that retro washed out look. I don't mind this as its my bushcraft smock and only worn in the woods anyway and that suits me as I'm not a big fan of cammo gear on civilians especially when they wear to much, as it looks a bit walter mitty, and I see enough old boys (read in their 70's or 80's) where I live walking around dressed in Para or Marine kit including Berets - which I find rather sad and ask who are they trying to convince?

I've dyed a few smocks over the years two I still have are a Swedish army smock (overhead design) which I dyed orange and this looks brilliant, it reminds me of an old action man explorer smock or similar. I also have a desert cam windproof which I kept when I left the army and this I dyed expresso brown, or mud brown as I see it, the colour never took 100% but it did well enough to give that retro washed out look. I don't mind this as its my bushcraft smock and only worn in the woods anyway and that suits me as I'm not a big fan of cammo gear on civilians especially when they wear to much, as it looks a bit walter mitty, and I see enough old boys (read in their 70's or 80's) where I live walking around dressed in Para or Marine kit including Berets - which I find rather sad and ask who are they trying to convince?
I'm 70 and wear a DPM camo jacket for walking and dog walking because it was Ā£5 with a couple of repairs needed and it has brilliant pockets to fit all my junk in, catapult and folding saw etc. plus the added bonus of a functional hood for if it rains. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything and think your attitude sucks. :(

Cheers Pete, that told me. As I said I'm not a fan when they were too much, one jacket isn't too much... By too much I mean being better dressed than the local commandos.

Anyway attached a picture of my smock, oddly it looks lighter in the photo than real life.

Attachments

• IMG_20230403_125536.jpg
    IMG_20230403_125536.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 111
Back