• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Early Garlic

Joecole

Very Obsessed
20190702_194930.jpg

Right the garlic on the right is perfect in fact almost show quality, however as you can see the others have large individual cloves but no outer casing so all you experts what is the possible cause? Incidentally the cloves where planted in late autumn

R

I have no idea to the problem joe. But I would love to grow garlic....is it easy?
All mine are grown in raised beds Mark but any garden should do, just dig in plenty of manure and plant in late autumn. Do onion sets and shallots the same way

Going by your recent weather Joe, a very dry spell followed by a very wet spell I would take a stab at sudden growth spurt causing the outer casing to split and dissolve. Just a thought.

Going by your recent weather Joe, a very dry spell followed by a very wet spell I would take a stab at sudden growth spurt causing the outer casing to split and dissolve. Just a thought.
Actually Annie that was exactly what I thought but I just wanted another opinion.They are pretty impressive sized cloves compared to the shop bought ones

Glad to be of help Joe😃 I used to grow a wonderful variety called 'Vallelado. Keeping my fingers crossed for an allotment in the autumn.

Glad to be of help Joe😃 I used to grow a wonderful variety called 'Vallelado. Keeping my fingers crossed for an allotment in the autumn.
God knows what mine would have looked like in a couple of months, my policy with all bulb crops is to plant early and harvest early. in another 4 weeks my shallots will be coming out of the raised bed

View attachment 18030
Right the garlic on the right is perfect in fact almost show quality, however as you can see the others have large individual cloves but no outer casing so all you experts what is the possible cause? Incidentally the cloves where planted in late autumn

R
My guess is that your soil is too good, garlic thrives in mean soil. Having said that it looks like you've got it clean and dry enough to store well.
I would be tempted to use the ones that have separated and spread as next years sets...they're certainly healthy looking

My guess is that your soil is too good, garlic thrives in mean soil. Having said that it looks like you've got it clean and dry enough to store well.
I would be tempted to use the ones that have separated and spread as next years sets...they're certainly healthy looking
I thought you might come up with a good answer Ystranc 👍

I thought you might come up with a good answer Ystranc 👍
It's only a guess, it could also be a combination of my guess about soil quality and rainfall as Brambling suggested. We have only just lifted ours but then again I'm further north and we're at 160m.

It's only a guess, it could also be a combination of my guess about soil quality and rainfall as Brambling suggested. We have only just lifted ours but then again I'm further north and we're at 160m.
I'm inclined to go with Bramble mate purely because of the size of the cloves and to go with your idea for next years stock

Back