• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Egg box fire lighters

I was mocked for my piss sample pots too teef, they're a bunch of swine on here. ;)

If it works, it works, they're built to be tough for obvious reasons and I'm able to source some 'unused' ones. What's not to like. :)
Guilty of mockery, as charged :(. It seems I can't help taking the piss:sneaky::whistle:

I know it isn't particularly "bushcrafty" but no one ever mentions elastic bands or strips of inner tube anymore these days, I swear by them as a way of getting heat into kindling in an emergency. Utterly waterproof they will even work after a dunking or in sub zero temperatures.
Excuse my ignorance, but can you explain (to me at least), the idea of burning? rubber...is that right? 🤔

Ethically is it any worse to burn natural rubber compared to burning waste petrochemical paraffin wax? In the amounts that I use I doubt that the impact on the environment is anywhere near as great as the discarded rubber bands (that mark the trail of our local postman) would otherwise be. I first started picking them up because I was worried about the cat chewing them up and swallowing them. They soon began to accumulate.
I mentioned strips of inner tube as this was a technique used by Richard Graves, an early wilderness survival/bushcraft instructor.

Ray Mears recommended carrying strips of rubber and a lighter in a pipe smokers tobacco pouch; I’ve done it ever since (minus the tobacco pouch which I’ve never invested in).

I have a little Tupperware box about 4 inches square and an inch deep that I carry in the top pocket of my pack, it has a lighter, a box of matches, some rubber strips, cotton wool and a lip balm, plus some birch bark and a fire lighter. I then usually have a fire steel in my jacket pocket and another in the top of my bag.

I do find a fire steel and cotton wool/Vaseline easier than matches and it raises my sexual attractiveness to all the pretty young teachers I work with.

Ethically is it any worse to burn natural rubber compared to burning waste petrochemical paraffin wax? In the amounts that I use I doubt that the impact on the environment is anywhere near as great as the discarded rubber bands (that mark the trail of our local postman) would otherwise be. I first started picking them up because I was worried about the cat chewing them up and swallowing them. They soon began to accumulate.
I mentioned strips of inner tube as this was a technique used by Richard Graves, an early wilderness survival/bushcraft instructor.
No probably not...just wasn't sure that was what you meant? Or that was what you did? Must stink though.......................

Yes it is a bit smelly (and environmentally questionable) but a strip of rubber the size of a small sticking plaster or a couple of elastic bands in a bundle of twigs can ensure that you have a fire when you need it most. Even if they're only ever used in a life or death situation it's another method that we should know.

I know it isn't particularly "bushcrafty" but no one ever mentions elastic bands or strips of inner tube anymore these days, I swear by them as a way of getting heat into kindling in an emergency. Utterly waterproof they will even work after a dunking or in sub zero temperatures.
My knowledge of natural tinders is not huge but I do keep a tinderbox with some king Alfred's cakes and some char-cloth for use with flint (knapped for a flintlock musket) and steel. After learning using flint I find ferroceum rods quite easy, however I usually use matches...While it doesn't rival a fire bow or a flint for bushiness there is also a pleasure in lighting a fire with a single match.
Being a modern day cheat along with the usual flint and steel I also carry a few fire lighters and tee light candles. With the amount of flint round here you can wear out a steel long before you run out of flint

I'm on clay :(
So am I but down here we are also on the chalk belt, I can collect flints by the dozen just walking the old railway line alternatively a 30 minute drive to the coast and I can collect 20 kilos at low tide

I've never made egg box fightlighters but I made a batch of fire biscuits a few days ago. Cotton wool pads and candlewax - simples! Dunk the pad in the melted wax and drop them on a china plate that has been cooling in the fridge or freezer😊
I made some of these with the addition of some lamp oil added to the molten wax and instead of the saucer they were allowed to set on a sheet of tinfoil. I quite like the woodwool fire starters which I use to get the pizza oven started

I've never made egg box fightlighters but I made a batch of fire biscuits a few days ago. Cotton wool pads and candlewax - simples! Dunk the pad in the melted wax and drop them on a china plate that has been cooling in the fridge or freezer😊
This is my favourite way too. I usually mix BBQ lighting fluid with the melted candle wax, about half and half. They take a spark and burn for ages

Back