• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Electrical tape.

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
Just doing a repair job on a pair of my walking shoes.
The sole parted from the upper at the foot arch.
using contact adhesive to fix it.
Wanted to hold the repair firm and give it chance to bond.........so gave it a few wraps of electrical tape.......love the stuff.....so handy in the field as well.

Any one else carry a roll in their kit?

IMG_20190831_112709.jpg

Nice to have some handy Al.........I have also tried that "Gorilla tape" for a few jobs......good stuff sticks well........ and strong.
You can tear it down the middle for binding type repairs.

Just doing a repair job on a pair of my walking shoes.
The sole parted from the upper at the foot arch.
using contact adhesive to fix it.
Wanted to hold the repair firm and give it chance to bond.........so gave it a few wraps of electrical tape.......love the stuff.....so handy in the field as well.

Any one else carry a roll in their kit?

View attachment 18947
always have some gaffer tape wrapped round one of my torches

I take 'Harry' black maskers with me when I'm away, a load of uses. I've got some wrapped round an old bank card but for longer bits I cut down the side of plastic takeaway carton cut to the right size for my 'odds and sods' pouch.

Amazing stuff but found it disconcerting when climbing into an RAF Puma on a dark hill top in Armagh to find the floor of the load bed covered in it; apparently to provide a non slip surface rather than holding it together!

Amazing stuff but found it disconcerting when climbing into an RAF Puma on a dark hill top in Armagh to find the floor of the load bed covered in it; apparently to provide a non slip surface rather than holding it together!

Its 'Pussers deck tread' you want for that mate. Don't know the NSN off the top of my head, funny old thing. ;)

If you can't fix it, you haven't used enough zip ties or gaffa tape :)

I tend to have gaffer tape and e electrical tape close by , not on my person but in the van , in the house and in the workshop. One thing i've not tried yet is the idea of wrapping it around something else like joe says he has around his torch. There's a part of me that would see it as almost second hand and not quite as effective as straight off the roll. Has anyone tried comparisons of tape that's been around something for six months with tape the same age that has remained on the original roll?

Hi Baytree.

Yes I have tried wrapping around different and many items so it is always to hand.
Most of the gaffer tapes I have tried like this do kind of congeal after a few months.....still usable but hard to peel back.
But strangely enough the Electrical tape stays pretty much the same as on the roll :thumbsup:

I tend to have gaffer tape and e electrical tape close by , not on my person but in the van , in the house and in the workshop. One thing i've not tried yet is the idea of wrapping it around something else like joe says he has around his torch. There's a part of me that would see it as almost second hand and not quite as effective as straight off the roll. Has anyone tried comparisons of tape that's been around something for six months with tape the same age that has remained on the original roll?

I've used Black maskers that is several months 'old' that I've wrapped round a strip of plastic (cut to the required size from the side of a plastic takeaway carton) and its been fine. I can't say whether if it was less sticky than stuff straight off the roll, seemed so and it did what was needed.

Just a quick note to all those guys with cable ties, duct tape, gloves and balaclavas in their car... Have you given any thought at all to how that would look if you had a stop and search? :ninja::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Back