• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Electricity Blackout Information

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
I watched an interesting YT vid from a barrister who gives some good info about when you might expect blackouts once they are announced.
Here you go.

My wife showed me an interesting article on the Mail website of all places and it explains it quite well. I looked on the bill and we are in period c which is in the top left corner of the online bill.

When I was child electricity blackouts happened from time to time, they were not a regular occurence - but they happened. At 10 years old they were very exciting. My dad lit candles and banked up the fire, then we talked, instead of watching the 2 TV channels available.
Now they hold no problems for me, if the lights go off before I finish this post, I will grab my torch (within arms reach), fish out my cigarette lighter (in my pocket) and light the candles I have dotted around the house, then go and get the Colman lantern I use for camping. Then I will settle down with a good book, that I have been meaning to read for some time.
Bring it on I say! The biggest inconvenience for me will be resetting the clocks in the house when the electricity comes back on again. :)

Not such an ordeal for most of us...........more of an inconvenience.
But for those with ill health....or disability issues.... who rely on machines of sorts to keep them comfortable and going.....it must be a real worry.

We will be checking and charging a few bits n bobs......power banks etc in readiness.

Last edited:
As long as I leave the fridge door closed we should be good for at least 8 hours.
A sneaky trick to check your freezer hasn’t thawed and refrozen; Take a small plastic pop bottle and half fill it with water, wedge it upside down in your freezer until it’s solid and then stand it right way up somewhere obvious in your freezer. If the water appears in the bottom half of the bottle it means your freezer it has thawed and refrozen making certain foods unsafe.

Lol they've started already here, obviously not had a lot of sun so for the first time in ages the battery bank got so low the inverter cut out plunging us into darkness, tramp up the battery store in the dark to set genny going for a couple of hours and normality is restored.

As long as I leave the fridge door closed we should be good for at least 8 hours.
A sneaky trick to check your freezer hasn’t thawed and refrozen; Take a small plastic pop bottle and half fill it with water, wedge it upside down in your freezer until it’s solid and then stand it right way up somewhere obvious in your freezer. If the water appears in the bottom half of the bottle it means your freezer it has thawed and refrozen making certain foods unsafe.
Another option is to Place a coin on top of ice in a container such as a yogurt pot. If you come back and find it frozen inside the ice then it’s melted and refrozen.

Back