• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Emergency wind up charger for mobile phones.

lonewolf

Slightly Obsessed
Thought this might come in handy for emergencies. mine arrived this morning.
"Hi Gear" emergency phone charger for old Ericsson/Motorola/Nokia/Samsung/ Siemens..
£1.99 + £1.99 postage. UK supplier on ebay.

note; this is for OLD style phones not new Samsung/Motorola/Sony/ or iphones etc.!!!

Very under powered, you will sit there cranking off all day to get power even into a non smart phone.

I have one of those biolite stoves that has the same problem, it takes forever but will charge a phone or iPad via a usb connection

Very under powered, you will sit there cranking off all day to get power even into a non smart phone.
as far as i am personally concerned, its only for emergency use and will probably never be used but its there if I need it.
"its better to have and not need it than not have and need it".

you miss the point Harry, this is just a cheap(under £4) gizmo to keep on your person, on your EDC or in your car for those emergencies like vehicle breakdowns or travel disruptions when we cant charge our phones by normal means.
its not supposed to replace the mains supply.

I don't miss the point LW, but I work on the principle of 'fit for purpose' and a hand crank charger, like hand cranked radios simply fail easily.

I have to say Harry that I don't wholly agree with you. I've got an old(ish) Freeplay radio that is still going despite regular use after about 15 years or so. I rate that as pretty good.

Freeplay radios were not cheap and were well built, thats the difference between them and the cheap Chinese tat that floods the markets these days.

I've bought quite a bit of stuff from China and its not tatt, its well made stuff.
actually given the globalisation of trade these days we'd be hard pressed to not buy stuff made in China, they are a trading nation and that trade is increasing every year.

I don't miss the point LW, but I work on the principle of 'fit for purpose' and a hand crank charger, like hand cranked radios simply fail easily.
not my experience.
gawd, and I thought I was the negative one around here!:lol:

I've bought quite a bit of stuff from China and its not tatt, its well made stuff.
actually given the globalisation of trade these days we'd be hard pressed to not buy stuff made in China, they are a trading nation and that trade is increasing every year.

It's difficult to buy anything that doesn't contain Chinese components or materials these days....but I still make the effort to buy British when I can.

yes, I think we should have another "Buy British" campaign, trouble is do we still have the manufacturing base to produce it??

We're going to need to manufacture more at home and buy in less...face it, we may have the fifth largest economy but we're skint.

yes but do we have the factories needed to produce it at home, is what i'm trying to say in my usual cack handed way.

I understood perfectly LW, my answer is simply that I don't know. We certainly have the skills and technology.

we seems to be a service and technology nation these days, most of our manufacturing seems to be out sourced abroad, why make it when its cheaper to get it from abroad seems to be the mantra these days.

Back