• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Entry level general purpose bushcraft knife: Bushlore or Perkin bushcraft o1?

Far

Slightly Talkative
Hi everybody!
I got really into bushcraft in the last year or two, and I've always used a mora that served me well. Now I'm thinking about getting a new, sturdier general purpose bushcraft knife and keep the mora as a backup knife and for leisure carving purpose only.
I don't want to spend a lot of money on it, so I'm thinking about a fairly cheap one such as the classic Condor Bushlore.
Recently though, while I was looking for suitable alternatives, a particular knife got my attention: the Bushcraft o1 by Perkin knives. Here you have the amazon link and a youtube link where you can see it used in real hands.

Amazon: https://goo.gl/y9p7nj

I'm asking you guys if you know this knife, what are your impressions about it and what would be, in your opinion, the pros and cons if compared to the bushlore, as an all round camping knife.
The main differences, from what I saw, are that the blade is thicker than the bushlore (0,4mm), it is made out of o1 carbon steel and it has a sabre grind on it.

Thank you very much for helping me out and sharing your opinion and expertise, I'd really appreciate it! :)

Far

Hello Far.

Welcome to the Bushcraftforum.

Please take a minute to introduce yourself in the "Welcome section" of the forum.
This will give the members a chance to welcome you properly.....it will also give you the opportunity to read the forum rules at the top of that page.

Thanks.:thumbsup:

The knife looks O.K. for the money.

Not to keen on the sheath if I'm honest....looking at the pictures on Amazon in the link you provided...it does not appear to have a Welt and the general build quality is fair at best.

We have a member who sells knives on the forum and has kindly donated a knife in the past.
If you are still looking for a good knife, have a look at @huntingknives.

Link to his site.

http://www.huntingandknives.co.uk/

The knife he donated was the AGEO COCOBOLA AXARQUIA

Link to the review.

https://www.thebushcraftforum.uk/threads/ageo-cocobolo-axarquia-knife-review.4512/

Jorge offers first class service and will gladly give any help and information you may need.

His prices are very competitive too.

If you are still looking and not decided I hope this is a help to you.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help! I will definitely check those knives out and introduce myself in the welcome section.
I appreciate your help!

Far

You are very welcome Far....@Huntingandknives is a member of the forum and will no doubt see this post and be happy to help you further:thumbsup:

Hi All,
Many thanks for your mention Bill,

About the knife Far, I can not give you reference of the model that you want beacause I do not work with the brand Perkin. But we have some similar models with other brands in the website www.huntingandknives.co.uk and if you want I can give you some recomendation for some models. Also we have one discount for the forum members with the coupon code thebushcraftforum2017.

Hello there friend,

I have the Condor Bushlore and a couple other models from them- Kephart and Woodlaw. Out of the 3 I really like the Woodlaw the best. You might want to consider getting the Woodlaw knife blank and just drill, epoxy, and pin some wood scales to it. The handle is a simple broom stick shape so not much contouring work needed.

Only negative to Condor for me is the 1075 steel. I'm partial to 1095 and the tool steels: O1 and A2.

If I had to do it all over again and buy my first bushraft knife, I'd probably pick up the Mora Bushcraft Black in carbon steel.

Have fun brother, be sure to take pics of what ever you buy!

My latest acquisition is an LTWHK GENESIS, definitely not your entry level BushCraft KNIFE. It's made of 4 1/4" X .145" thick CPM 3V Steel, 0° Scandi Grind, spear point, Matte Natural Canvas Micarta scales, Leather Dangler Sheath w/3/8" firesteel loop. The spine has been ground to a sharp 90° angle and throws mega sparks from a ferro rod and scrapes/pocesseses wood efficiently.
IMG_2457_kindlephoto-41591075.jpg
IMG_2456.JPG
IMG_2455_kindlephoto-20852591.jpg

Dom

You could always buy a blade blank and have a go at making a knife, that way you could maybe get a better selection of steels for your budget , choose your own sheath design and have something you have created yourself. Enzo look like a good option, Condor do blade blanks for about 20 quid kniveg do some good budget options. English handmade knives is a good place to look.

You could always buy a blade blank and have a go at making a knife, that way you could maybe get a better selection of steels for your budget , choose your own sheath design and have something you have created yourself. Enzo look like a good option, Condor do blade blanks for about 20 quid kniveg do some good budget options. English handmade knives is a good place to look.
There are a few of us who have made our own knives from scratch but I must admit that's a very nice knife

Back