• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Equipment Finds At Car Boot Sales & Second Hand Shops.

Keith

Very Addicted
This is where you share your "finds", lonewolf has reminded us that we should not dismiss the idea of purchasing second hand goods & that it is also possible to find new gear at lower prices at car boot sales & second hand shops.
What have you found & what did it cost?

and don't forget open air markets too if you have them in your areas. we have a weekly one where I live, a charter was granted by the king in the 12th century and it has been held every week since and is currently on Tuesday mornings, you can buy everything from jackets and hats to tools and household equipment to bicycles and cheese scones, next week will be the last one until the new year as there wont be one for the next 2 weeks due to xmas.

I was hoping to be able to share images of an air rifle walking cane with you all but I was out-bid at the last moment:(

While auctions can be disappointing like that they can also be a great way of getting more unusual things. I have bought all sorts of interesting things at auction in the past.

yes, I bought a wooden bow and a couple of knives at our local auction, both for less than £20.
I also bought a folding spade at auction for about £6, I don't think anyone else knew what it was.

All these knives cost between $4 & $8 except one which I got at an open air market for $14. these are mostly 18th & 19th century blades with some early 20th century blades. I have since re-handled the riveted 20th century knives for preference, but they were fine to use as was. Some were just bladed, no handles. These are a mixture of French & English blades.
Knives_for_conversion_005_REDUCED.jpg
Knives_for_conversion_010_REDUCED.jpg

Butcher_Knife_19thc_REDUCED.jpg

Butcher_Knife_3_REDUCED.jpg

Butcher_knife_French_with_ebany_handle_REDUCED.jpg

Knife_002_REDUCED.jpg
My Hunting Knife.
18thc_Square_poll_Hatchet_Head_001_REDUCED.jpg
18thc_Square_poll_Hatchet_Head_002_REDUCED.jpg

A modern axe head I picked up for $4.00. I heated this head in a camp fire & hammered it down over a pickaxe blade to make an oval eye. hen I reshaped the head to a bearded axe. Finally to make it lighter I reshaped the head again into a tomahawk.
The_Tomahawk_Uncle_Keith_Made_REDUCED.jpg

Keith.

Attachments

• Knives_for_conversion_005_REDUCED.jpg
    Knives_for_conversion_005_REDUCED.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 18thc_Square_poll_Hatchet_Head_001_REDUCED.jpg
    18thc_Square_poll_Hatchet_Head_001_REDUCED.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 67
View attachment 213 View attachment 214 View attachment 215 A pretty fle market find. Damascus steel folding knife
ystranc_preppers_forum_uk_1.jpg

An excellent find! Well done! This looks very much like either a copy of or an original 17th or 18th century knife. It is bugging me because I have seen one with the same bolster design & I can't find it in my files! It is not a poor mans knife, even 300 years ago these Damascus blades were not inexpensive to purchase.

Keith.

It's a modern copy from an Unknown maker, the blade is really sharp folded steel and even though it is long it's spring is quite effective. The handle is a combination of brass, steel and dyed bone with both steel and brass pins holding it together. It's my new favorite knife, superseding my old ABL Marine/Army penknife as my EDC.

Back