• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Equipment To Make Things Easier Whilst We Still Have Fuel!

Keith

Very Addicted
The rest of our close family (my other two sons & family) are coming tomorrow having been with inlaws over Xmas. We don't mind, because we have never celebrated Xmas anyway except for the kids. So, time to cut the grass to make snakes more visible! One thing leads to another as you probably well know! The tyres on our ancient ride on lawn mower were flat, & I could not find the foot pump. So I brought the tractor down into the garden & used the electric tyre pump. Whilst the tractor was there I decided it would make things easier to use the tractor to move the small chook pen in the garden, but the boom was at such an angle that I could not get it low enough to pick up the whole chook pen. So I will pick up the heavy end with the tractor & get my sons on the other end to shift it.
I find this little tractor does pretty much anything the big tractors can do only a little slower, & I have operated some pretty big tractors in the past. We have a cultivator, a slasher, a rotary cultivator & the boom to fit this tractor.
tor_ride_on_lawn_mower_laundry_power_s_007_REDUCED.jpg
Our ancient ride on lawn mower.

tor_ride_on_lawn_mower_laundry_power_s_009_REDUCED.jpg
tor_ride_on_lawn_mower_laundry_power_s_008_REDUCED.jpg
With 4WD & dual rear wheels this thing will go most places. Our youngest son is making a tip bucket for the front of this tractor.

Keith.

Attachments

• tor_ride_on_lawn_mower_laundry_power_s_009_REDUCED.jpg
    tor_ride_on_lawn_mower_laundry_power_s_009_REDUCED.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 153
Those little Kub's are good tractors, very reliable. If I were ever to get land it would be a toss up between a Kub small tractor a Honda Quadbike,

There are a whole load of firms making those mini tractors. I have a small Antonio Carraro HST quad tractor for forestry work that is designed for steep slopes but for the same money you can buy an entry level John Deere.
The mini tractors tend to be let down by the tiny little sewing machine sized gears and clutches of the PTO. Using full size kit is simply beyond what they were designed to cope with.

there is a place near us that does up old tractors, I fancy an "old grey Fergie" if I get some land, nothing too complicated, keep it simple is my motto, my mantra and my philosophy.

My neighbours have one, it the one that runs on either petrol or paraffin. It's a beautiful old machine but it has even less power then my toy tractor though.

wife spent her farming days on one of those.
I wouldn't want something that's overpowered anyway, i'll probably go for a "mule" instead, it'd only be for moving stuff about anyway.
I remember my ex father in laws garden tractor, that had some power but he would never let me use it I had to use the hand push motor mower instead.

Or maybe he didn't want to share his toys:sad:...... but since I've never met the guy I will make no further comment.;)

One item that makes life easy( for me) that requires fuel is my chainsaw.Wood is our primary heat source,and as I get older the chainsaw is a godsend.
The battery powered chainsaws aren’t bad at all any more, a little over priced but practically on par with the petrol ones really. Hell of a lot lighter too

I have never used a battery one. However, I do have a mains electric one to deal quickly with windfall logs dumped on the front by mates. It saves having to get fuel and oil mixed etc. I must say that the electric one is impressive.

The battery ones are OK and can be solar charged, most will let you get around 100 cuts on 3" limbs

I like my chainsaws as well but I try to use a bow saw as often as possible just for the exercise

Back