• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Even dwarfs started small - Bushcraft Equipment for Children

That is a travel tooth brush.

I prefere this system over the folding versions, but it doesn't matter which system you choose.

Watch out for extra small tooth paste tubes and small bottles for soap.

One soap washs all!

You can also order this biodegredable soap.
You can open and close the inner closure with the small hole in it with a knife or screw driver to refill it and press it back.
In my opinion that is the best soap bottle on the market, and that's large enough for up to one week!

That bottle you can fill with soap too, if you should find it in a British super market or drug store.
It contains originally a dental water.

40 ml or 50 ml per person is the recommended size for expeditions up to one week!

Thin 1 metre cotton laces to hang the pot and to make a tripod and a small candle as fire starter can carry the dwarf.
Swimming breefs as well as underwear he has in the wardrobe, but he shouldn't forget it.

I do not think, that spare clothing are necessary for a week end, for longer times I take myself only one T-Shirt, swimming breefs and a second pair of socks with me.

I wash only a part of my clothing every day and have the rain trousers (in cold conditions) or swimming breefs as spare trousers. (OK, I use swimming Shorts too, but they are heavier.)

Tarp and line to tension it, perhaps gas burner, and a 1,6 litres two persons hanging titanium pot fromToaks or a 2 litres Zebra billy can, hatchet and saw and a small first aid kit can carry daddy for the beginning as well as all food and the larger amount of drinking water.

Assuming that daddy is minimum equipped as well as the dwarf after this list, in my opinion they should be ready to start to the next expeditions!

Perhaps a light rain jacket that fits over the fleece jacket would be a good idea if it is cold and windy.

The hooded Jacket in the list perhaps than isn't necessary.
The fleece jacket should be used as a pillow too, perhaps in a light nylon bag of round about 5 to 6 litres volume. "Ortlieb ultra light dry bags" and "Snugpak dri saks" I recommend here, available in nature colours.
A light cap and gloves we usually can find in the dwarfs wardrobe.

In my opinion the list is complete and nothing is missing for the first adventures in the summer time, spring and autumn.

Shorts would be perhaps an good idea, if it is hot.

And at last but not at least:

SLEEPING BAG !!!

It isn't easy to find a sleeping bag for children in nature colours.
It is nearly impossible.

I recommend to take a sleeping bag in mummy shape that fits, especially for smaller children.

And for taller children I recommend to by an olive green Snugpak sleeping bag for adult people.

I use the Snugpak Special Forces 1 Sleeping bag in oliv green with its bivvy bag in most conditions, and I think the Snugpak Special Forces Sleeping Bag System is the best for bushcraft on the world market.

But Snugpak offers cheaper green sleeping bags too.

Last edited:
So, Gentlemen!

Erbswurst is ready and tired.

Your comments, please, corrections, ideas and recommendations!

Oh, I forgot the small hook!

Just make it with side cutting pliers from a wire clothes hanger!

Isn't a SLEEPING MAT missing in the list?

The packing list of german bouy scouts usually doesn't contain a sleeping mat.

They just put the jacket under the sleeping bag if it is cold.

If you sleep next to a fire you heat the earth a bit. A sleeping mat is heavy and bulky.
And an inflatable mat isn't a good idea together with a fire, especially if beginners choose the wood. It wouldn't survive very long! Used boy scout equipment usually has spark holes everywhere.

I recommend the German army folding mat, 10€ used, 425g. It fits well inside the ruck sack where it belongs next to the back.

It can be folded to half the size giving a good insulation if it is doubled, the legs than belong on the jacket.

But a child doesn't need a sleeping mat in summer times! The earth should be warm enough.

I bought my first sleeping mat when I was 40 years old. For winter camping I used a sheep skin before or a woolen blanket.
But because both are heavy and bulky I used till down to 0*C always only the jacket underneath the sleeping bag. That's enough in my opinion.
In unexpected cold conditions it's possible to put some layers of twigs under the poncho or a thick layer of leaves.

For children it is important, that the rucksack is as light as possible!

Thin 1 metre cotton laces to hang the pot and to make a tripod and a small candle as fire starter can carry the dwarf.
Swimming breefs as well as underwear he has in the wardrobe, but he shouldn't forget it.

I do not think, that spare clothing are necessary for a week end, for longer times I take myself only one T-Shirt, swimming breefs and a second pair of socks with me.

I wash only a part of my clothing every day and have the rain trousers (in cold conditions) or swimming breefs as spare trousers. (OK, I use swimming Shorts too, but they are heavier.)

Tarp and line to tension it, perhaps gas burner, and a 1,6 litres two persons hanging titanium pot fromToaks or a 2 litres Zebra billy can, hatchet and saw and a small first aid kit can carry daddy for the beginning as well as all food and the larger amount of drinking water.

It's good to see your choices, for soap I've got Dr Bronners 18-1 soap which claims to be a toothpaste as well. The mint one is particularly nippy on sensitive parts of skin! I must admit that I oddly quite enjoy being covered in mud and only carry it if I'm away for more than a couple of nights!

For boxers, I've experienced wet cotton boxers in the past, not great in chilly conditions and a source of lingering cold. I've opted for the buffalo systems boxer shorts which are Pertex and very quick drying. I've worn them for two weeks in the past, they are very easy to wash and you can wring them out and just pop them back on and you're dry again in no time. They're not cheap though.

I have seen this Lidl towel some days ago and had it in my hands. I guess it's nice for adult people if you camp in the summer next to a lake. If you put it on the poncho or a foam mat to protect it against dirt, that is surely very comfortable.

But for children it is unnecessary large, bulky and heavy and even I wouldn't use it for trekking, because it is to large to dry it at the ruck sack.

For adult people for trekking this cheap Decathlon towel here has a nice size. The flexible loop avoids to throw it on the ground if you use it ( put the loop around your wrist) and it helps to dry the back, because it becomes a bit longer in the diagonal measure.

Let's say this is the best size for adult people for trekking. (40x55 cm)

Unfortunately they sell it only in bright funny colours.

But I recommend to every body to buy such a small cloth from Lidl and try it out. You will learn a lot about this relatively new material!

Should you dislike it, you can give it to your wife for cleaning the house when you enjoy with your dwarfs, friends or dog the great outdoors.

;0)

@MildredsSmurf

I use instead of boxers Swimming shorts. They can replace normal shorts while I am waiting in front of a coin self-service laundry.
They can be used as well in a youth hostel or at a tourist camping ground.

But in the nature and especially for children I just recommend to use cotton underwear breefs and swimming breefs as spare underwear.

Every gram counts if we pack the ruck sack for children! One gram is added to the other, and in the end the rucksack is to heavy for the dwarfs, if we don't pay attention, it's no fun to carry such a heavy ruck sack around and it is unhealthy too!

I never used Dr. Bronner's soap.
If you recommend it I will buy it when I come along at my outdoor shop.

My old dentist told me, he never would use tooth paste! He just brushed his teeth for 8 minutes in the morning and evening with water.

Oh, I found a children's sleeping bag in an acceptable colour!

Recommended till 8*C.
900g light.

The sleeping bag can grow with the child!!
That saves money.

Deuter is a German brand, well known for quality stuff.

Because here the photos are much better, ones more in German:

Last edited:
Since its 100% polyester you can seal the edges with heat... Probably best to cover it with sewn on binding tape and an over locker rather than sticky tape.

I fixed all and everything with duck tape.

But a towel for children???
I wouldn't do it for myself!

But Yes, to fix the edges with a lighter probably is a good idea.

I try to avoid to give DIY recommendations.
This threat I mean for parents, but for young people too. And I don't want to recommend to spend pocket money first and than to undertake the first DIY steps with the newly bought stuff.

I own a couple of ruck sacks which I tried to modify when I was 13 or 14 years old.
After I reached a special point I needed help and didn't find it.
I will continue the projects after I will be retired...

But a tip for a children's sleeping bag can be to shorten a normal one. Mother can doo it perhaps with an old one. For summer use that might be an option. They will still be to wide, regarding the weight uneffectiv.
But for the beginning that could be an option for summer use.

But again:

This is a standard Lidl product, which I recommend as a hiking towl for children!

I recommend this small 30x40cm microfibre cloth as a towel!

I use it my self to dry the whole body when I want to go with ultra light equipment!

The package costs round about 2€ for two pieces.

You find this package between the cleanser products:

I fixed all and everything with duck tape.

But a towel for children???
I wouldn't do it for myself!

But Yes, to fix the edges with a lighter probably is a good idea.

I try to avoid to give DIY recommendations.
This threat I mean for parents, but for young people too. And I don't want to recommend to spend pocket money first and than to undertake the first DIY steps with the newly bought stuff.

I own a couple of ruck sacks which I tried to modify when I was 13 or 14 years old.
After I reached a special point I needed help and didn't find it.
I will continue the projects after I will be retired...

But a tip for a children's sleeping bag can be to shorten a normal one. Mother can doo it perhaps with an old one. For summer use that might be an option. They will still be to wide, regarding the weight uneffectiv.
But for the beginning that could be an option for summer use.

Sorry, my mistake. I thought you were talking about the camping mats. Yeah, black maskers wouldnt be the answer, much better to trim with a lighter.

Even this isn't really an option:

The Lidl cloth I slaughtered is thinner than the special outdoor towel. That means it is easier to heat the edge of the cloth.

If you are fast and used to fix the ends of thin plastic lines it works, but if you stop for a second, you get a scratchy or burned ugly part.

That I can't recommend to everybody.

The original edge looks like this:

And that cutters usually do to avoid that edges frazzle.

Back