• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Evening

Thanks for the kind comments.....the wee one was the last of my wee camping gang.....lost Kyle...border collie 2013.....molly the schnauzer.....2016......and tanya the dachshund.....2019......my wee collie is looking up as if to say ...I ain't looking forward to 2022 ya blinking johna..😁
DSC00213.JPG

Evening folks... Blinking weather, didn't water the plants in garden last night as we where to get torrential rain...... Not a drop all day. 🙄

Evening folks... Blinking weather, didn't water the plants in garden last night as we where to get torrential rain...... Not a drop all day. 🙄

We got off very lightly too, a bit of drizzle instead of the promised biblical floods. Not that I'm complaining of course. Currently packing a weekend bag for a wee trip down south. Flying so have had to carefully go through all the stuff I carry to make sure I don't end up in Guantanamo. Hate not having my bits and bobs on me and it was going to cost 50 quid to take hold luggage apparently. :eek:

We got off very lightly too, a bit of drizzle instead of the promised biblical floods. Not that I'm complaining of course. Currently packing a weekend bag for a wee trip down south. Flying so have had to carefully go through all the stuff I carry to make sure I don't end up in Guantanamo. Hate not having my bits and bobs on me and it was going to cost 50 quid to take hold luggage apparently. :eek:

Enjoy your trip mate :thumbsup:

Reactions: Bam
Good luck for the trip mate.....fingers crossed for a break in this weather.
Look forward to some pictures and the write up:thumbsup:
I know how you feel re the bits n bobs :D

Reactions: Bam
I'll not be taking any more internal flights without hold luggage. A lot of dicking about and got a wallet ninja confiscated, never been a problem in the past.
No photos and write up, it's a surprise birthday party, not a wander unfortunately. In a foul mood already. :mad:

I'll not be taking any more internal flights without hold luggage. A lot of dicking about and got a wallet ninja confiscated, never been a problem in the past.
No photos and write up, it's a surprise birthday party, not a wander unfortunately. In a foul mood already. :mad:

Never mind mate.....cheer up.......soon be cutting some shapes to Macalaya.........and YMCA 🤣

This afternoon I found a big clump of bees in a hedgerow... I ran home and grabbed a cardboard box and an old sheet. After knocking the bulk of the bees into the box I then put it upside down on the spread out sheet and propped it up so the rest of the bees could follow the scent of the queen into the box. I then left them to settle down while I prepared a hiive for them, this was all a bit fraught and I didn't have time for photos.
I've just transferred them from the cardboard box to the hive. Here they are going up a little makeshift ramp to their new home......mine, all mine....

You can see their numbers thinning out as they disappear up into the hive leaving only the weak and the dead behind. Since I've no idea how long they were in that hedge or where they were from I've also fed them with a mixture of sugar and water at a ratio of 1:1

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    328.6 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    330.4 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    344.8 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    344 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    298 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 85
A couple more pictures of the hive with the home made contact feeder in situe. This particular hive is known as a WBC, they're a bit old fashioned, I'm trying to phase them out if anyone fancies buying them off me.
I'm replacing them with national hives like the ones pictured with the red straps

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    282.2 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    314.3 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    262.3 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    351.7 KB · Views: 84
This afternoon I found a big clump of bees in a hedgerow... I ran home and grabbed a cardboard box and an old sheet. After knocking the bulk of the bees into the box I then put it upside down on the spread out sheet and propped it up so the rest of the bees could follow the scent of the queen into the box. I then left them to settle down while I prepared a hiive for them, this was all a bit fraught and I didn't have time for photos.
I've just transferred them from the cardboard box to the hive. Here they are going up a little makeshift ramp to their new home......mine, all mine....

You can see their numbers thinning out as they disappear up into the hive leaving only the weak and the dead behind. Since I've no idea how long they were in that hedge or where they were from I've also fed them with a mixture of sugar and water at a ratio of 1:1
That's a brilliant job in dealing with that surprise. A couple of years ago I saw my first swarm of bees - they were coming down my street! They headed along to the T-Junction and then turned left and carried on down that street! I watched them out of my window in amazement, it was a big swarm and the look on one woman's face in a car, when confronted by the swarm, was a picture. She stopped for a minute and drove slowly through it.

Back