• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Evening

Now I just need to leave them to settle in and in a week or two I can check up on them to ensure that the queen is producing brood. If not I'll get them to rear a new queen.

There's a lad near us who has managed to get permission to set up some hives, he's a youngish lad from Hungary and cut from similar cloth to us, I'm desperate to see how he goes with it.
Why not buy yourself a bee suit and join a local club, there will be one near by, they all offer courses and mentoring. Many of them also have quality disease free second hand kit to help newbies get set up.

Why not buy yourself a bee suit and join a local club, there will be one near by, they all offer courses and mentoring. Many of them also have quality disease free second hand kit to help newbies get set up.

There's a lassie quite close to us on the allotment who keeps bees too, good for the allotments natch and probably a source of knowledge. Its something to think about, cheers.

Now I just need to leave them to settle in and in a week or two I can check up on them to ensure that the queen is producing brood. If not I'll get them to rear a new queen.

Love honey. Purer the better. Do you have a price list lol

I sell at local antique fairs off the end of my stall. My honey isn't blended or heated so it is what is usually described as "raw natural honey"
At the moment I have two batches, one batch is a mixed set honey, the other is a pure apple blossom honey but I'm not selling that one, it's my favourite. It isn't something that I can easily post because I only use glass jars.

I sell at local antique fairs off the end of my stall. My honey isn't blended or heated so it is what is usually described as "raw natural honey"
At the moment I have two batches, one batch is a mixed set honey, the other is a pure apple blossom honey but I'm not selling that one, it's my favourite. It isn't something that I can easily post because I only use glass jars.

No worries mate đź‘Ť Just thought a would chance my arm lol

You never know, one day you might make it south of the border...

Me and Sharon was talking about that the other day lol we want to take the kids to see Wales ..mammal and country lol. So if I visit ystranc. Will I get a free jar or charged double the price?:rofl:

I think I've had enough laughter at your expense to owe you a jar of honey Mark...a small one!
Be aware though, as Bam has pointed out, I'm not naturally suited to the hospitality trade.

This afternoon I found a big clump of bees in a hedgerow... I ran home and grabbed a cardboard box and an old sheet. After knocking the bulk of the bees into the box I then put it upside down on the spread out sheet and propped it up so the rest of the bees could follow the scent of the queen into the box. I then left them to settle down while I prepared a hiive for them, this was all a bit fraught and I didn't have time for photos.
I've just transferred them from the cardboard box to the hive. Here they are going up a little makeshift ramp to their new home......mine, all mine....

You can see their numbers thinning out as they disappear up into the hive leaving only the weak and the dead behind. Since I've no idea how long they were in that hedge or where they were from I've also fed them with a mixture of sugar and water at a ratio of 1:1
Very nice find Ystranc, how many hives have you got now?

The last mead that I made came out very dry, it didn't so much taste of honey, more like it smelled of honey.
It was like a very potent dry white wine.
My cider was exceptional last year, there were a couple of demijohns made of a single apple variety that were particularly outstanding.

Back