• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Everybody needs a little Elon Musk in their lives….🤣

Gulfalan67

Very Addicted
Yesterdays chore had been waiting a few days for a clear, dry spell with regular winds.

We installed our new Starlink Wifi. Living outside of network coverage, internet comms is important to us. Our old ‘sky muster’ satellite uplink had woeful speed and bandwidth. A video call would regularly pixilate and buffer, and worst of all, during our frequent rainstorms we would lose connection completely, sometimes for up to an hour.

We set up sky muster about seven years ago when the technology was new. Static dish to transceive from old style satellites. It had seemed like magic having wifi in the bush!

Starlink may be of interest to readers of this forum. It is theoretically portable and can be carried with you wherever you go. Mount it on a boat an aircraft or in a van, unlimited wifi anywhere on the planets surface utilising those strings of thousands of micro satellites Elon is pumping out into Low Earth Orbit.

The new installation is pretty cool too. No sooner had we nailed it onto the roof, the dish came to life and started whirring around on its pivots searching for satellites. Amazing!

If anybody is interested, I can update on Starlink performance after a while. Posting this on it now.

Cheers

Alan

431CB2EA-0E10-4CBA-8F88-B1ABEA4A69DC.jpeg

DC90DA90-8C16-4E81-8A66-A4438CF7C8B2.jpeg

C5431D7C-8C99-4AF5-A39F-013C95821EC4.jpeg

C4D3DF3E-4226-44F6-94BD-3800327DCE4E.jpeg

That's interesting Alan. When satellite broadband initially was introduced in the UK it was downlink only, the uplink was via the normal telephone connection. I didn't realise that the technology had advanced this much. What download/upload speeds do you get?

Be interesting to see what your connection is like considering there are about 3700 snooperlites up of the bare minimum 10,000 needed for full coverage and 42,000 planned snooperlites.

We looked into it for our place but we spend a large part of the day with a very weak satellite signal so we scrapped the idea. The company that we were going to use gives you an app for your phone that checks position and signal strength (don’t ask me how because I don’t know) apparently the satellites were too low on our horizon for a good signal. It’s a great pity because it was very reasonably priced with unlimited data (with a fair use policy) and decent speeds.

That's interesting Alan. When satellite broadband initially was introduced in the UK it was downlink only, the uplink was via the normal telephone connection. I didn't realise that the technology had advanced this much. What download/upload speeds do you get?
9830CF7F-704A-4C17-9A11-E55BB6E9214B.jpeg

So here is what the app shows. I’m wondering if being on the equator improves our exposure to Elon’s micro Satellites.

We are the last adopters of this technology in our district. Everybody else says it’s been great.

Alan

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings about this tech. On the upside it's amazing to be able to provide fast internet out in the middle of nowhere. The downside (as a keen astrophotographer) is that it's getting hard to take night sky pics that aren't full of satellite trails! The sky's getting busy.

I have mixed feelings about this tech. On the upside it's amazing to be able to provide fast internet out in the middle of nowhere. The downside (as a keen astrophotographer) is that it's getting hard to take night sky pics that aren't full of satellite trails! The sky's getting busy.
Yup, the amount of junk up there is ever increasing

Back