• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Ex-Rat

For a start, the ban hasn’t begun yet. I get the impression it’s a bit silly, driven by misinformation, we have a boisterous and active population of jays, they plant oak trees for me so I forgive them anything…they’re definitely not in decline around here.
Today after seeing this in this thread I made sure I counted the magpies that I have in the area and there were only two pairs. On that basis I really don’t feel the need to control their numbers.
I quite like the Jays and have never thought of them as a major scabby bastard like Magpies and crows.

What is Mr Tell talking about when he says they fired white cartridges made from cardboard and were free?
No idea, apparently that was Germany in the 1960’s… since I was only born in Liverpool in 1969 I’m afraid I can’t help you with that one.
I do know that some cartridges are colour coded to avoid mixing calibres eg 20g are all yellow for safety reasons.
(edit, My mistake, it was Bedfordshire and the gun was made in Germany)

Last edited:
Colour coding of shotgun shells came up earlier in the thread, this is an interesting article which unfortunately doesn’t explicitly mention 9mm rimfire, probably because it is mainly a European calibre while in the US they used .22LR shotshell

Back