• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Excel SD290 boat restoration and mods.

lee

Slightly Obsessed
Finally finished the Excell :) transom repaired, painted, strengthened for larger outboard use and custom fittings fitted, seats repainted, a lot of fuel being carried on board so a fire extinguisher is fitted, full boat re-roped, stainless fitting on the davit rings to hold the bow bag secure( bag for anchor, drouge, spare rope light batteries and snacks etc) navigation lights and a spotlight fitted as we expect to be using this boat at night, only a single white light is required for a vessel under 3 meters but port and starboard lights are recommended so other vessels can see your direction. I have 2 white light one at the bow and the high at the stern (bow one for back up) The stern pole light is a mod it was done with drain pipe (print removed with thinners) and a solarforce flashlight with a lantern attachment a 5 function ice white 500 lumen Cree LED drop-in was used (functions are high, medium, low, strobe and SOS, SOS mode being very usefull and reassuring to have ;)) the bow light is a low power 100 hour emergency portable boat light, running AA batteries the port and starboard lights are button cell portable boat navigation lights. The spotlight is a custom Cree XML 1000 lumen neutral colour, single mode direct drive running a single 18650 (Panasonic 3500Mah)
Will be testing the illumination at dusk lol ahead of this weekends river boating and camping.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers joe, I have the new hand stitched ensign to fit to the pole when it arrives and to fit a folding radar reflector to the pole as well when I mod one up, I think we're keeping this one as the all round and fishing boat fir yes all and maybe keep the the v floor air rib as light as possible for maximum speed ;)

Cheers joe, I have the new hand stitched ensign to fit to the pole when it arrives and to fit a folding radar reflector to the pole as well when I mod one up, I think we're keeping this one as the all round and fishing boat fir yes all and maybe keep the the v floor air rib as light as possible for maximum speed ;)
The V floor is a nice little boat mate

They are OK joe I'm still not sure they are better than an inflatable keel and air deck or inflatable keel and aluminium floor, and the one big draw back i found was if you get a serious puncture on the underside of the V floor and you don't get out the water quickly before it fully deflates and all the air escapes from the chamber, the chamber then takes water in through the puncture and then you got to remove the valve in that side of the floor get the water out before you can do the puncture repair, with the inflatable keel models if you get a hole in the underside of the floor it's no drama, you will take on some water but it will drain out the one way self drain valve in the transom, the other problem is the v floor is good as long as there is not t much weight in it once you put a few people's feet on it it looses its V and the models above 2.7meter suffer even more from this, the answer I think us to mod an Aliminium or wood floor to sit on the V floor, it would only be supported by the sides of the floor leaving the V to stay very V ;) and standing up in them makes you and the boat unstable.
I think the best V floor air ribs are small ones: 2.3-2.7 and if used used by a single person with minimual kit then they work well, fast and plane easy with as low as a 5hp the rear planning tabs do make a big difference, I don't see why the rear tabs are not built into inflatable keel boats.

Will decide if the Excel is a keeper over the weekend as the Bison air deck is still on the watch list ;)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

They are OK joe I'm still not sure they are better than an inflatable keel and air deck or inflatable keel and aluminium floor, and the one big draw back i found was if you get a picture on the underside of the V floor and you don't get in to land quickly and all the air escapes the chamber it then takes water in through the puncture and then you got to remove the valve in that side of the floor get the water out before you can do the puncture repair, with the inflatable keel models if you get a hole in the underside of the floor it's no drama, you will take on some water but it will drain out the one way self drain valve in the transom, the other problem is the v floor is good as long as there is not t much weight in it once you put a few people's feet on it it looses its V and the models above 2.7meter suffer even more from this, the answer I think us to mod an Aliminium or wood floor to sit on the V floor, it would only be supported by the sides of the floor leaving the V to stay very V ;) and standing up in them makes you and the boat unstable.
I think the best V floor air ribs are small ones: 2.3-2.7 and if used used by a single person with minimual kit then they work well, fast and plane easy with as low as a 5hp the rear planning tabs do make a big difference, I don't see why the rear tabs are not built into inflatable keel boats.

View attachment 11321 View attachment 11322 View attachment 11323
There's always going to be a compromise Lee, that bottom should be pretty tough and shouldn't puncture easily and if you're going to take it off the Rock there shouldn't be to much out there to do to much damage

Ocean use for the v floor is not too bad joe, they bounce off the rocks unless you beach on one :eek: the rivers are the problem with sharp sticks and polls just under the waters surface plus pieces glass and metal on river banks.

Well I've tested the Excel lighting set up, I'm happy with it, the port and starboard navigation lights are very visible from all angles the stern pole light couldnt be photographed on max nor medium power lol so it was set to low and it can stay on that mode for use as it's more than bright enough on the low mode plus it will give many many hours use before a battery change is needed ;) the bow emergency back up light works well and I forgot how bright it was lol finally the spotlight is giving a good 100 plus meters of throw and a nice spill ;) job done, sorted for the Autumn evenings on the rivers and for some end of season night sea fishing :D

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I think its well thought out and an all round good job mate:thumbsup:

As you know joe it can go wrong fast on the water so take no chances and enjoy it out there ;)

There's not much to do to the V floor, I'm thinking a full tread plate transom fire extinguisher, flare holder and that's it, keeping it light and fast for Josh ;)

As you know joe it can go wrong fast on the water so take no chancbe enjoy it out there ;)
Been there mate but our geminis had multiple buoyancy tanks so we could hit a beach at 20kph and still sail away but safety was the priority even though we had no buoyancy aids

I beach hard and fast joe, you can get into more trouble than a puncture with the boat turning on the waves and beaching YOU as you trying to jump out and pull it in lol

Back