• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Exped Down sleeping mats......NEVER AGAIN.

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
I have been an avid user of these mats for a few years now.
Had 3 to date but enough is enough......there wont be another purchase from me.
On our most recent trip I realised there must be a small leak in the mat somewhere......loosing air overnight.
With the Scotland trip in mind....I decided to check it out in the hot tub to show the leak.
EVERY TIME on all the mats I have owned...... the seams have been the problem.......not a fabric puncture in the tubes.
The air was leaking from a previous repair ( on a seam again ) while gently submerging the mat just enough to spot the leak.....the seams gave way over a length of 6 inches.....rendering the mat useless.:mad:....they must have been ready and waiting to go.......and obvious weak point!!

So glad it happened here at home and not in the snowy wilds of Scotland.

Exped??........not for me ever again.....over priced..... and unreliable X3 :(:(

I refer to my post of 9th August....

Quote " I gave up on the posh insulated mats when a year old Ā£120+Exped something failed on me. I had looked after it during it's very short life, but the internal glue between the tubes failed and it turned into a big grey useless balloon."

Looking back through various posts on other Forums, I would say Exped must have been aware of the failure of internal seams for at the least 5 years.

I always thought the seams were welded Sax.....if they are glued.....which looks to be the case......then Exped need to look at something different to bond.
It could be that damp or wet weather..... changes in temperature..... effects the integrity of the glue at the seams.......add to that the weight of the user and air stored.......and pop goes your Weasel.

Confidence totally lost in the product........ and the company.....I hope the Bots pick up on this post and others read this!!......to save disappointment and kit failure at a critical moment.......not to mention saving their money......GASH!!!

How's the research going for the replacement Bill, you got your eye on anything yet ?????

@Bam

Needlerss to say....I have been looking about Andy šŸ¤­

A sleep mat is quite an important part of my kit.....as it is for others.
Quite like the look of this one.....no freakin baffles.......self inflating........good size...... and 6 R value.:thumbsup:

Double valves blah blah blah :D

Not that much dearer than the more expensive models of Exped.

Still looking.......................not hit the button yet.........but close :D:sneaky:

The Exped that I owned for just over a year was the model with a built in pump. One side tube had a couple of Hand prints on it. Inside was kind of sponge and blocking the air intake with your hand as you pressed down inflated the mat. With this system moist air was never blown by mouth into the mat and when not in use I kept it deflated and laying flat, so it was not ill used.
Quite by chance I watched a You tube by an American Biker/ camper " 40 times around" just yesterday which featured a Sea to Summit mat which he rated as very good.

Looking for comparisons I also watched this...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MkRKeU0cl8 Not scientific in the least, but, another view.

" 40 times around " is of interest to me because of the Biker/camping angle, but his view is just one of dozens on the You Tube circus.

Yes....had one of them too Sax (Exped).....same problem with the baffles :rolleyes:
What you have linked to looks good :thumbsup:

Still steering towards the Thermarest at the moment.....the extra width is pulling me in :thumbsup:

@Bam

Needlerss to say....I have been looking about Andy šŸ¤­

A sleep mat is quite an important part of my kit.....as it is for others.
Quite like the look of this one.....no freakin baffles.......self inflating........good size...... and 6 R value.:thumbsup:

Double valves blah blah blah :D

Not that much dearer than the more expensive models of Exped.

Still looking.......................not hit the button yet.........but close :D:sneaky:

Ay Caramba !

Too rich for this peon at a hundred and forty quid.

AffectionateSphericalAdamsstaghornedbeetle-small.gif

Attachments

• AffectionateSphericalAdamsstaghornedbeetle-small.gif
    AffectionateSphericalAdamsstaghornedbeetle-small.gif
    537.1 KB · Views: 13
As far as SIMS go, I think it was Matt who put me onto Multimat. I bought one and am well pleased.....Thermarest without the cost? Quality.
As for inflatables, I bought a Forclaz 700 (XL) from Decathlon. Early days, but REALLY comfortable! Again not expensive?

I have tried typing in various post codes in the 'Find a retailer' search box on the Multimat website, post codes in Wales and Sussex and on every occasion got 'No result'. Is it me with just unlucky choices of post code, or is their search facility wonky. Anyone know of a retailer? Just curious, as I have a Military Multimat which is nearing retirement.

Not good bil, but as you say best finding it now. Canā€™t offer any options for a new one as iv never had much experience with any.... hope you find one that works šŸ˜

Last edited:
Inflatables and the smallest twig/stone etc and an uncanny knack of meeting at the same place and time that is all it takes, foam mats for me

Luckily never had a puncture in the baffles themselves on all 3 mats.....always the seams that were the problem. :rolleyes:

Well.....after having a good look around and pondering.... looking at the options.....finally hit the button on one of these.

Thinking this will sit better on the camp bed being a lower/thinner profile of 2 inches....... but still boasting a 6 R value.
Some of these self inflators can be a bit on the hard side.....with the 2 inch thickness there should be enough play to get the inflation at the right comfort level.
Went for the Large mat for the extra width mainly.

As the majority of my camping is now out the back of the car....this will be ideal for my personal needs.

Only problem.....it does not come with a repair kit......need to buy that separately.

Happy Days :D:thumbsup:

Back