• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Exped inflatable mats

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
There is no doubt that the Exped range of mats are nice bits of kit and they are well made.
They offer great comfort and warmth.......directly on the ground (Protected underneath) or used topping a camp bed/cot........whatever.
I used to have the 9 but my overfilling of the mat meant that the thermal welds parted in places on two of the tubes.....lesson learned :rolleyes:
If I am using the mat directly on the ground.......I have found it easier on the mat if I get to my knees and gently roll onto the mat.....rhather than bumping my fat azz down on it :Dnot so much pressure on the bladder welds......seams.

I replaced the 9 with the 5LW for the very reasons given in the video clip........less expensive too 👍

The only thing I am not too happy with is the length of time and effort it takes to inflate it with the mini pump provided.
Having a few back problems........ the time spent bending and operating the pump for a few minutes can be a problem.

Trying to kill two birds with one stone by investing in an "Exped Pillow Pump"....speaks for itself.
With the Pillow Pump...........I am hoping inflation will be quicker and easier....less time spent bending and something to lay my head on at night 👍

What I also like about the Pillow Pump is its size.....not just for packing.....but for the fact, it will fit snugly inside my sleeping bag hood so will keep the pillow secure and end the feeling around in the dark if the pillow falls/moves away during the night

Hope this is useful to any other Exped mat users.

Would definitely go with the pillow pump.... far better mate. Good choice

I will definitely update my sleep system with one of those mat’s. Just not this year lol

You could also fashion a blow tube long enough to sit down in comfort and blow it up. Save on the back mate:D piece of garden hose should work. Or the tube from a hydration pack.

You could also fashion a blow tube long enough to sit down in comfort and blow it up. Save on the back mate:D piece of garden hose should work. Or the tube from a hydration pack.

Never blow into them, resist it at all costs, it will save you the heartache of seeing it mould and blowing tubes, I learned this the hard way :(

Hi Mark.

As Bopdude says.

It has to be a dry air pump mate.....the mats are down filled....." orally inflating" would ruin the mat mate :eek:
Let us know what you go for if you do add a mat next year 👍

To be fair Mark....it is not obvious until you start looking into...... and researching the mats.
I had no idea either until I looked into getting one myself👍

Back