• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Experimenting..

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
Some time ago, after a discussion on the forum, I bought some self seal bags. Someone came up with the bright idea of bagging meals for DIY boil in the bag. Big Red? Sharpfinger? My apologies, I can't remember who, but anyway I bought some from Ebay and I've started experimenting with them and learned at least one lesson.
This is a full can of Princes Chicken Casserole decanted into a bag. I sealed it by running a hot Iron over a Tea Towel along the bottom, although I know it's possible to use Ladies hair Curling Tongs.

DSC00836.JPG

Not being 100% certain that the Iron trick would work, I also folded the bottom of the bag up and ran a strip of masking tape along just to make sure it was properly sealed. Bag then went into the freezer part of the fridge overnight.

Next day, 09.00 hrs I took the rock solid bag out and just left it lying on the sink draining board in the unheated kitchen, mild days though so maybe 12-14 C ?
Lesson 1...Dim wit, don't use washable marker pen on an item that gets wet when it freezes and then defrosts....:rolleyes:

DSC00847.JPG

I found a permanent marker didn't work on the silver foil bag, so had to use a paper sticker. The contents had totally defrosted at 14.00 hrs, so 5 hours from frozen hard. Because I'd used tape and a label I didn't do boil in the bag, I just cut the bag and dumped the contents into a mess tin for cooking. Yum..:D
I'll try again, without the tape seal and from hard frozen I'll put a bag in a small 'Cool Bag', just to see how long it will take to defrost. I'm guessing that if I took frozen grub in sealed bags kept in a cool bag, even if they slowly thawed over say 2 days, decanted tinned meals would still be viable boil in the bag meals after a couple of days.

Some time ago, after a discussion on the forum, I bought some self seal bags. Someone came up with the bright idea of bagging meals for DIY boil in the bag. Big Red? Sharpfinger? My apologies, I can't remember who, but anyway I bought some from Ebay and I've started experimenting with them and learned at least one lesson.
This is a full can of Princes Chicken Casserole decanted into a bag. I sealed it by running a hot Iron over a Tea Towel along the bottom, although I know it's possible to use Ladies hair Curling Tongs.

View attachment 40409

Not being 100% certain that the Iron trick would work, I also folded the bottom of the bag up and ran a strip of masking tape along just to make sure it was properly sealed. Bag then went into the freezer part of the fridge overnight.

Next day, 09.00 hrs I took the rock solid bag out and just left it lying on the sink draining board in the unheated kitchen, mild days though so maybe 12-14 C ?
Lesson 1...Dim wit, don't use washable marker pen on an item that gets wet when it freezes and then defrosts....:rolleyes:

View attachment 40410

I found a permanent marker didn't work on the silver foil bag, so had to use a paper sticker. The contents had totally defrosted at 14.00 hrs, so 5 hours from frozen hard. Because I'd used tape and a label I didn't do boil in the bag, I just cut the bag and dumped the contents into a mess tin for cooking. Yum..:D
I'll try again, without the tape seal and from hard frozen I'll put a bag in a small 'Cool Bag', just to see how long it will take to defrost. I'm guessing that if I took frozen grub in sealed bags kept in a cool bag, even if they slowly thawed over say 2 days, decanted tinned meals would still be viable boil in the bag meals after a couple of days.
Nice idea re the iron and cloth.

Sharpie Permanent markers work if the bag is dry.
I write the content details on the (factory) closed end of the bag so that it gets ripped off when I boil up the bag and it doesn’t contaminate the boil/brew water.

You could even seal H20 in a BIB, freeze it and use it as cool pack.

Ive got these (empty) bags all over’t shop now, in kits; in cars; in me field kitchen set, as options for storing/heating up food.
I also find them useful for heating up two different types of meal in the same pot; or mash and a casserole in the same pot. And there’s no messy pan afterwards!😀 win, win!

There's no info on my packet and I can't remember the supplier on Ebay, but I used the same supplier as Sharpfinger. He will have an answer for you later, Rob.

Anyone got a link to a decent seller ?
Aye Up Rob,

Here is the link to the company I use:

There is quite a selection of sizes. I use the 16cm x 23cm which holds up to 1kg - but I don’t fill them that much - usually up to 500g/ml so that they fit well in the freezer and my pack.

I paid about £14 for my first pack of 50! and got 3 quid discount on the second pack.
I‘m on my third pack now. 🙂

Not sure how you do a link within this site to a previous post but it was titled something like ‘DIY Boil-in-bag Meals’ so it should come up in a search under my handle.

Last edited:
Just to report on my second attempt..
I made a much better job of sealing the bag this time, using a hot Iron to seal in an 'All Day Breakfast'. Following up on the suggestion about freezing a bottle of water, I froze an ex 1 litre fruit drink bottle with about 90 ml in it. All in the freezer over night and solid when I placed them in a cheap10 litre Cool Bag, zip top type, at 09.00 hrs. and left the bag in the kitchen.

On returning from the woods at 16.00 hrs I found the water had virtually thawed leaving a lump of ice about 3x2 inches floating inside the bottle. The bagged food had defrosted but was still very cold to the touch.

I don't know, but, if the food is transferred straight from a tin into a sealed bag and then frozen, I would assume that the food does not deteriorate so as to be unsafe to eat for at least 24 hours, bearing in mind it takes possibly 6 hours or so just to defrost completely in the sealed bag. One way to find out I suppose, I'll give it a try next over night trip and if I end up doing the Chinese quickstep to the bog every 10 minutes, you'll know my theory was duff. :lol:

Good luck with that one Sax, somehow I think you'll be ok as long as you don't push your luck...maybe avoid repackaging chicken or prawn dishes.

Back