• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

FABSIL

IAM ODIN

Extremely Talkative
Thanks for the recommendation :)
£7 that'll do me

Attachments

• 16010516043478537644497043549383.jpg
    16010516043478537644497043549383.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 99
Its good stuff mate, I sprayed it on quite heavily on my lavvu and it was mostly pretty good. I could see where it was thinner by the odd wee spot that was passing.

odd that, but no worries, thanks for checking.
as it happens i'm experimenting with a paint-on waterproofing using diluted silicone sealant. i don't know how much area that covers either. :p

That spray can alas, does not cover much. I tend to use it in 5 litre cans and decant into a garden pump sprayer...certainly as far as cotton materials (tents) are concerned.
Brushing on sealants on cottons is generally not recommended as it can damage older fibres potentially. (tents)

Reactions: Bam
good info LOL, ty.
just curious, are you saying you've done the diluted silicone thing? if yes i'd love to hear more.
i'm thinking of trying the silicone treatment on a clapped-out old British Army MTP windproof smock i have kicking around, hoping this silicone business can give it a fair bit of water resistance so i can just consider the thing my everyday carry for the frequent and relatively unpredictable "monkey's birthday" showers we get here in Scotland.

No: I once in earlier days, brushed on Fabsil, as recommended by an eejit.....but we learn and it also wasted a lot of Fabsil. I have since read many times elsewhere that brushing can...not will...can damage the cloth.
However, I have also since found that a lot of older cloths just need rewetting and drying to reproof them, or certainly seeming to: I have (several!) 60 year old GC tents, one of which is not reproofed, and it had not problem resisting light rain earlier in the autumn. My lavvu and Dutch surplus 1 man tents have both been Fabsil'd and have held off extended downpours

Attachments

• Geldeston 2020 John and Tim.jpg
    Geldeston 2020 John and Tim.jpg
    515.5 KB · Views: 96
Definitely...search on line, prices can vary......just the basic Fabsil, not the "Gold" or whatever.........

FTR found this:
For lightweight nylon materials, the coverage is up to 18m² per litre.
For lightweight canvas materials, the coverage is approximately 7.5m² per litre and for medium weight canvas, it is approximately 5m² per litre.

also, does £25 sound like a decent price for the 5L tin?

Reactions: lol
brilliant! looking forward to finally having that smock ready for the fall's unpredictable weather.

fwiw i realize that Fabsil is supposed to be for tents and suchlike but they say it's good on nylon and cotton so how far wrong can a poly/cotton smock be? especially since it's not much use to me as it is (pretty old and tired out, barely good for windproofing) and i don't particularly care if the whole experiment goes pear-shaped. i expect Fabsil isn't something you want on your skin but that's no worry because for me the smock is only an off-weather outer layer thing anyway.

i've emailed the Fabsil guys to see what they say. if interesting i'd post back here with the good bits.

Back