• Welcome to Life In The Wilderness

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Factory Farming In Asia Creating Global Health Risks, Report Warns

Keith

Very Addicted
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ing-creating-global-health-risks-report-warns

China food threat.jpg

Ystranc

Damn right, the last bird flu epidemic originated there because of lack of hygiene as well as proximity of poultry and pig processing. It's not as if the risks were not known after the 1918 flu pandemic.
I raise my own birds for meat which has its own challenges but at least I know what they've eaten and that they've been killed and prepped in a hygienic and humane way.

lonewolf

Neo Luddite Prepared Survivalist.
a lot of Asian birds are kept close to the houses and have access to the interior of the house, it is well known that British hygiene standards for meat and poultry are the highest in the world but we still get rouge operators trying to make a quick profit, I have never liked poultry kept in barns with artificial light and no access to the outside, that's why all my meat and poultry is bought from a local supplier who I know and trust, and eggs are bought VERY locally from people with just a few in the back garden.

Last edited:

lonewolf

I do not like globilisation and bringing stuff, especially food, from the other side of the world, we have no control or even any knowledge how it was grown or in the case of meat how it was raised, fed, slaughtered or shipped.
I was brought up in an age we ate stuff that was "in season", if it wasn't in season you didn't have it to eat, now its available 12 months of the year and shipped in from here, there and everywhere.
we are going to get US stuff post brexit and a lot of that is either GM itself or fed on GM maize, for crying out loud, and don't even get me started on this chlorine washed chickens!!

Last edited:

greenbear

Extremely Addicted
I can see this as a risk. As I see it the key problem with globalisation as that we get to share the bad along with the good. With international travel being very attainable for most westerners we can easily transport viruses around the globe along with "dodgy chicken" etc.

lonewolf

that's the point, any virus can be transported from the other side of the world these days within 24 hours due to the rapid transit systems we have now.

lonewolf

by the way, they knew this a long time ago, it was the opening titles of the BBC "Survivors" programme- the original one not the later p.c. remake. okay so that was fiction but someone must have thought it possible even back then.

Keith

Very Addicted
I do not like globilisation and bringing stuff, especially food, from the other side of the world, we have no control or even any knowledge how it was grown or in the case of meat how it was raised, fed, slaughtered or shipped.
I was brought up in an age we ate stuff that was "in season", if it wasn't in season you didn't have it to eat, now its available 12 months of the year and shipped in from here, there and everywhere.
we are going to get US stuff post brexit and a lot of that is either GM itself or fed on GM maize, for crying out loud, and don't even get me started on this chlorine washed chickens!!

Does Chlorinated Chicken Affect the Environment?
https://www.envirotech-online.com/news/business-news/44/breaking-news/does-chlorinated-chicken-affect-the-environment/43653
"UK welcoming such produce into its supermarkets in the wake of separation from Europe".