• Welcome to Life In The Wilderness

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Falling behind....

saxonaxe

Extremely Talkative
I thought I'd better get a new battery for my gizmo camera as I'm off for a wander on Monday. No problem, there's a palatial camera dealership not far away. Excuse for a ride in the sunshine too...........
" Battery for a Panasonic TZ 5 please"
" A what sir?"...(young bloke behind counter)
" Panasonic TZ5 camera"
" TZ5...How old is it Sir?"
" Not that old, 2008, I think"
" We won't have a battery for that Sir, it's obsolete"
"Eh! It's a Panasonic, surely they still make them?"
...Looking embarrassed.." They do Sir, a Panasonic TZ 100, there were a series of TZ's...years ago Sir...now they are TZ 100's, we don't stock those obsolete batteries I'm afraid"

Found one on Amazon £9+pennies ( when they were not obsolete they were £49.99p)
I must try to keep up...:rofl: :rofl:

The Boogie Man

Staff member
In built obsolescence is crazy isn't it? Something works perfectly well but manufacturing has to keep us all looking for the next Gizmo. It's a bit like the lightbulb, you can make them to last years but where's the profit in that eh.

38thfoot

Quite Addicted
Crazy unless you’re an employee of the company in which case it pays your wages... to buy more light38

Ystranc

There really needs to be a better balance between economic growth or squandering resources. I went to the tip the other day to get rid of some scrap that was more rust then metal. When I got there I was shocked and horrified to see a container sized skip of small household appliances and a further large skip of large white goods...all of which looked newer then anything I own.:sad:
Have they never heard of repairing things?

38thfoot

Quite Addicted
Some stuff, it’s now more expensive to repair. As an example the bearings in our washing machine failed; they are now part of the drum and even the repair man said it would be cheaper for us to buy a new one than him repair the old, it had lasted ten years and four house moves so worked out st £20 a year.

Ystranc

That's understandable 38th, I'm more upset about the stuff that is barely out of guarantee before some minor part fails. I like to buy parts and repair things myself whenever possible. I get stuff either direct from the manufacturer by being nice to a few people on the phone or from sparesdirect for older appliances.
Last time I went to the tip I bought a chest freezer to use as a store for beekeeping frames, when I got it home I found that the damn thing works perfectly...I paid just £2 for it!

I suppose it's just that I hate to see things wasted and discarded. Since I'm in danger of sounding a bit like LW I shall now shut up and go and do some work. :thumbsup:

38thfoot

Quite Addicted
I agree, I had repaired my machine once before the bearings went and dont like waste however it is the nature of the modern world.

Ironically it is partially the push for energy efficiency A+ ratings which stops spares being available for older appliances which is a little barmy!!