• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Family mutt

Woodlander

Very Addicted
Morning all,
I see a lot of posts of folks with or about their dogs, and its made me realise how much I miss having a mutley of my own! I havent had a duggy for about 8 years now, was too heartbroken when my malinois, Sam, died and my American Akita, Kai, stayed behind with my kids after the divorce. Its time for a new family member. Only problem is I have never bought a dog, they have all been rescues. Years ago you used to look in the freeads or shop windows, pet shops advertising, but now there is nothing! I can afford to keep a dog, and pay for veterinary care if needed. These are all things that can be paid for in relatively small amounts, but to have the £100+ to pay out for a dog in the first place, well that ain't happening anytime soon! Whatever happened to the "free to good home" mutts? Do they still exist and I'm just looking in the wrong places?

The price of dogs has gone crazy, especially the 'designer' dogs, it makes no odds, or sense, our Jug we paid £300 and the vets class it as a mongrel breed lol, look at another rescue dog as we did at first, iirc then it's about a £35 donation towards having them snipped etc To get a free to good home now is a rare thing :(

If Claire is willing to take a trip up as far as Llandrindod wells there is a lady there who does dog rescue. I'll look for her number and PM it to you Jon...all 3 of mine came from her...she usually asks for a donation of £50 but will waive that if she thinks that you're the right person for the dog.

@Woodlander

Hope you find your new buddy soon Jon.

Lorraine and I would like another Mutt too......but we are holding off at there moment until we are both fully retired.
Are you looking at any particular make and model.....or not really bothered?

Reactions: Bam
@Woodlander

Hope you find your new buddy soon Jon.

Lorraine and I would like another Mutt too......but we are holding off at there moment until we are both fully retired.
Are you looking at any particular make and model.....or not really bothered?
Labrador to gsd size, soft and stupid, preferably not a heavy moulter, and likes walks. Not a yappy lap dog, because then you need two of them, because one slipper is no good to anyone:sneaky:

The Retired Greyhound Trust are a good bet too. I'm a lifelong fan of retired Greyhounds as pets. They are loyal, easy going, quiet, don't shed a lot, full of character and already trained. My last went everywhere with me; he was my best friend, a brilliant pot hunter and the reason I still can't bring myself to have another dog after more than 25years. (I'm welling up just writing about him!) Give one a consideration.

ETA. If you want one for free, go direct to a Trainer. They often have dogs coming up for retirement they need a home for. They will usually be 'hot' but with a bit of TLC they come round.

Last edited:
The Retired Greyhound Trust are a good bet too. I'm a lifelong fan of retired Greyhounds as pets. They are loyal, easy going, quiet, don't shed a lot, full of character and already trained. My last went everywhere with me; he was my best friend, a brilliant pot hunter and the reason I still can't bring myself to have another dog after more than 25years. (I'm welling up just writing about him!) Give one a consideration.

Hi Annie.

Yes......second that :thumbsup:

Used to have a Lurcher which was Collie Greyhound cross.......lovely dog.....and everything you have described.
He was grey with four white feet.....so I called him "Boots"

You never forget them......and retain wonderful memories;)

Reactions: Bam
Dugs do get under your skin don't they ?
Yeah im thinking about my Sam now, its making me have second thoughts. He was amazing, ex police, looked after the kids, could tell time, could count, camped with me, protected me and kids, hell of a character for a Malinois dog. Moved house and wasn't allowed pets, rehomed him with a lovely family. Within a month he had a heart attack and died 😭😭. Re thinking wether I could have another dog now???

Yeah im thinking about my Sam now, its making me have second thoughts. He was amazing, ex police, looked after the kids, could tell time, could count, camped with me, protected me and kids, hell of a character for a Malinois dog. Moved house and wasn't allowed pets, rehomed him with a lovely family. Within a month he had a heart attack and died 😭😭. Re thinking wether I could have another dog now???

Putting it bluntly, you know they have fairly short lives, its about the time you spend with them when they're here and the memories when they've gone. Especially if its a rescue, you're giving a dog the opportunity to be loved and have a good life. Only you can decide if its something that will work for YOU.

However it pans out, good luck mate.

Without a doubt, dog ownership is an emotional rollercoaster and a huge responsibility. It's best to be sure before you commit to taking on a rescue dog and any issues it brings with it, not only for the dog's sake but for your own. I've been so very lucky with my three but we have fostered quite a few older sight hounds and lurchers as well and like Brambling would reccomend them every time. That is a good tip about getting them direct from a trainer as they retire.

They give you loads of enjoyment then take it all away and use you as a cushion :evileye:
03BD59BA-D91E-48C7-97F5-C5DBDF0BD78D.jpeg

That is a real cutie that you have there Mark...funny really, I had you down as more of a German shepherd kind of guy...can't think why.

She’s a pain in the rear end mate :D Your not far wrong buddy lol I grew up with German shepherds. a fancy an Australian shepherd but will wait until am in my mid 50s when work slows down and I have more time to give to a bigger breed

She’s a pain in the rear end mate :D Your not far wrong buddy lol I grew up with German shepherds. a fancy an Australian shepherd but will wait until am in my mid 50s when work slows down and I have more time to give to a bigger breed

We waited until I was leaving the mob before getting a dug (which somehow became two), They do take up your time especially if they're pups and need training as well as the general attention they crave. I'm far from an expert being 5 years into my first dugs so I don't feel qualified to dish out the wisdom although I know folk who manage with dug walkers and boarders when required.

We waited until I was leaving the mob before getting a dug (which somehow became two), They do take up your time especially if they're pups and need training as well as the general attention they crave. I'm far from an expert being 5 years into my first dugs so I don't feel qualified to dish out the wisdom although I know folk who manage with dug walkers and boarders when required.

Av had a boarder and 3 Yorkshire terriers and now av got that wee sht. She’s a cross between a lasso and a west’y .. or a hamster and a goldfish 😂 she’s a wee cracker. Very affectionate and there is no chance anyone will get near the house without her raising the alarm lol. Am no sure if am the master or she is....lines are very blurry on that one :lol:

Back