• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Fears Deadly Plague In Madagascar Could Spread Via Flights

I have been keeping an eye on this, so far its a long way away, watch to see if it spreads.

the original plague of the 14th century killed about 40% of the population(but 100% of the victims died)- there was a reoccurrence after the fire of London- but the population was much lower in those days, with not only the rapid transit systems we have these days but with the large populations in close proximity to each other I think the numbers would be much higher now.

Beubonic Plague weirdly hasn't massively evolved; I was taught that it's one of the few diseases that hasn't developed any resistance to anti biotics so is relatively easily treatable.

Still don't want to catch it thought!!!

diseases adapt quickly, we probably couldn't produce anti biotics in the quantity needed in the event of the plague re-infecting Britain. remember the population is much larger now 65 million instead of about 5 or 6 million yet it still killed about 2 million people.

Plague is one of the diseases that hasn't adapted; it is pretty much the same now as it was in the 1600s. Production of medical supplies is a different matter as you say.

if I remember correctly plague kills within a few days 4 or 5 I think, certainly no more than a week, 40% casualty rate of 65 million is about 26 million dead if my maths is correct, that's a lot of dead bodies, our crematoriums and graveyards wouldn't be able to cope.

Pneumonic plague is somewhat different to bubonic plague in the respect that is easier to transfere between people by coughing while bubonic relies on a vector such as flea bites.
This Madagascan outbreak seems to be pneumonic.

Pneumonic plague is somewhat different to bubonic plague in the respect that is easier to transfere between people by coughing while bubonic relies on a vector such as flea bites.
This Madagascan outbreak seems to be pneumonic.
Correct!
Keith.

and it will transfer between people faster these days because one there are a lot more hosts for them to inhabit and two certainly in some of the larger cities people are so close together, some places you can spit from one house to the next.

for those reasons I think the infection rate would be much higher than the original 40% and I don't believe they could produce enough anti-biotics, in enough quantities, to compete with such a huge outbreak.

yes, you read my mind, I was just thinking that.
also the Tube is packed at some times of the day, packed in like sardines, that would allow the spread.

Back