• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

February wild (ish) camp

Madriverrob

Extremely Addicted
So this weekend saw me out without my usual partner in crime @Bopdude , I was down in north Manchester with my son in law . Originally from that area , there is a fantastic county scout camp at Linnett Clough in Mellor , you can see Manchester City centre from the site .

At this time of year we had the place to ourselves for a fiver a night with access to the wood pile , toilets and water point , parking was within easy distance of the site .

First job was to set up our hammocks and tarps and an admin area and fire pit . Scout camps require fires off the ground and provide barrels and cradles .
Mark was using a DD jungle superlight affair , later modded to take a snugpack cocoon ( it was his birthday last week ) and I was using my Napsack hammock and tarp , overnight temps were set to be around -3 so I was using a MoD arctic bag and mark had a snugpack 4season bag .

Tea for Friday was cassoulet, beers , port and whiskey .

After a feed and a few drinks it was off to bed to watch the season finale of Viking !

Saturday morning greeted us with a crisp frost , fire sorted ( tons of wood so no worries there ) , obligatory mountain man breakfast and a few hot brews .

A few camp chores and then tea prep for braised brisket in the Dutch oven ( see separate thread) .

I’d taken my seek outside B2b tent ( from @Bopdude ) so had a little play with that .

Tea was followed by a brew dog session and a few whiskeys and airplane watching using a phone app ! i’d Taken some coal and the fire was roaring by now , so a bit of bushcraft TV before turning in .

This morning saw us rising to more frost and a minus three temperature 🤒

A quick brew up saw us packing away by nine am and then a quick journey home for mark and two and a half hours for me !

A great camp in a fantastic wild urban location that never fails to provide just what I needed .

Here’s some photos for you ......,

Looks like a great spot, sorry i couldn't make it, the pitch on your tarp / hammock looks better, seems you're dialling it in now ? Is that a cocoon on the Son in Law's ?

Back