• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Field dressing game

Medwayman

Quite Addicted
I have never done so and have been looking at several you tube videos and I must admit it can look unpleasant to do with regards gutting ETC has anybody done so here.

Done everything from turkeys to squirrels mate.With birds I pull off the skin and feathers in one go then just trim out the breast meat

Pigeons and rabbits mostly but not in about 30 years. Saying that, I did a LOT of rabbits and I'm sure it would all come back to me. I see there's plenty of advice above so I'll not toss in my old news experience.

Nothing wrong with the smell of burning fur and feathers bramble and a lot cleaner than shoving your hand up a pigeons arse

I was a bit wasteful with the pigeons, I just used to cut the breasts out, admittedly I was an impatient yoof.

It depends what you want fron the animal/bird. Withrabbits I gut and skin the back end, cut off the back feet and then give everything forward of the saddle to the dogs while is still warm...skin, bone and all.
With pheasant and duck I just take off the crown and legs then mince the rest for the cats and dogs. With pigeon I breast them in the field and put the remainder out for buzzards and kites...nothing is wasted

Ive done rabbits chickens fish squirrels etc. Ive seen a method done by some lurcher men of paunching a rabbit without a knife where they basically squeeze the rabbit like a stubborn tube of toothpaste until the guts eventually explode out of it backside in a one-er. Effective and not requiring of a knife. Never done it though so I dont k ow how much of a knack it is.

Back