• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Field dressing game

Ive done rabbits chickens fish squirrels etc. Ive seen a method done by some lurcher men of paunching a rabbit without a knife where they basically squeeze the rabbit like a stubborn tube of toothpaste until the guts eventually explode out of it backside in a one-er. Effective and not requiring of a knife. Never done it though so I dont k ow how much of a knack it is.

Tried the squeeze out method a few times and never succeeded once.
All I got for my efforts were broken splintered ribs come through the skin and stick in my fingers...... Very sore.
If there is a knack...... I don't have it 🤣

Gutted rabbit and squirrel along with pigeons,fish and one pheasant. Also helped with a chicken lol... and I have to say the worst was rabbit. Nice and easy to do but man do they stink🤢

Tried the squeeze out method a few times and never succeeded once.
All I got for my efforts were broken splintered ribs come through the skin and stick in my fingers...... Very sore.
If there is a knack...... I don't have it 🤣

🤢😂 poor rabbit Bill

Ive done rabbits chickens fish squirrels etc. Ive seen a method done by some lurcher men of paunching a rabbit without a knife where they basically squeeze the rabbit like a stubborn tube of toothpaste until the guts eventually explode out of it backside in a one-er. Effective and not requiring of a knife. Never done it though so I dont k ow how much of a knack it is.
Ah yes, known as "swish and squish" you need to orientate the guts in the lower abdomen by swinging the rabbit by its head to break the neck before squeezing hand over hand back from the rib cage. I've only tried it once.
I wouldn't reccomend it on a rabbit that's been shot, only neck broken rabbits are suitable. I've seen it done by old school warreners when ferreting and they're unbelievably fast.

Gutted rabbit and squirrel along with pigeons,fish and one pheasant. Also helped with a chicken lol... and I have to say the worst was rabbit. Nice and easy to do but man do they stink🤢
It's the way the smell lingers on your hands for the rest of the day, even after you've scrubbed them.

It's the way the smell lingers on your hands for the rest of the day, even after you've scrubbed them.

Forgot to take my head torch one night so decided to use the light in the boot of the car. Smelled for days mate.

By the time February comes around the back of my van looks like it belongs to a serial killer (all it's missing is a roll of duct tape and some cable ties) .......and the smell attracts dogs wherever I go.

We used to do a lot of fishing and shooting so done a fair bit back in the day, Pheasant, Duck, Rabbit, Salmon, Sea Trout and Trout as well as sea fish, more recently Squirrel, never did mind the blood guts and gore or the smell ;)

Back