• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Finally found the perfect bag...

Henre

Very Talkative
One that can fit everything and then some... :rofl::rofl::rofl:
IMG-20180214-WA0004.jpg

Does any body know, if it's insulated?

Do you think, my 34 litres ultra light summer Equipment would fit well in the side pockets?

Its insulated and comes with caravan friendly power attachment for the posh blokes. It also has a custom camelback water pouch insert claiming to carry 2 weeks worth in one go...

OK, as per title, what is the perfect bag ? A broad question, I suppose it's down to trip, conditions, gear taken and weather ?

I'm still lusting after the newer ULA Ohm 2.0 but at +/- £260 pounds it's a little outta my reach for now, I have the original Ohm and love it for summer trips but imho it's a tad on the small size for my winter kit.

Tbh, I've only ever had karrimor bags. Always wanted a maxpedition but could never bring myself to fork out the cash and never really found any fault with the karrimors. I still from time to time use the first one I got which is now more than 10 years old...
But now that we are on it, what would be suggested if one was in the market for a new pack?

If people want to walk a bit with the pack they should try to concentrate in the necessary equipment and should try to choose modern lightweight solutions.

If you pack like this, 50 litres capacity really should be enough for the most hikes.

So the Decathlon Solognac X-Access Hunting Rucksack 50 litres is an interesting option, because it is really light, but olive green.

It weights only 960g. and for £33,- it is cheap.

If one doesn't throw to much heavy equipment inside the simple carrying system works very well.

I am 185 cm tall and have no problems with it.

This is my GBHB... Cartable and totable, it'a a backpacker Boulder 75L, had it since the late 70's - early 80's.

I've removably strapped it to a folding golf-cart as I'm not a last-season's chicken, and catring's way less work than toting...

I keep it in a steel-footlocker on my Landy's roofrack because I travel solo. If I become immobolised remote from assistance it's my back-up plan to walk out.

I'll happily post more about this if anyone want to know a bit more...

Attachments

• GBHB configured for toting no cover bag to show cart collapsed while toting.jpg
    GBHB configured for toting no cover bag to show cart collapsed while toting.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 186
  • GBHB stored in rooftop footlocker.jpg
    GBHB stored in rooftop footlocker.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 204
  • GBHB configured for carting.jpg
    GBHB configured for carting.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 154
Hi Dodat.

I can see the trolly working on a lawn or smooh surface.
Looking at it in the picture....it has a narrow wheelbase........and the centre of gravity is very high when in the tote position.
Have you tried it out on tracks or rough ground?

Do you think numatic tyres would be any better on the cart.

Nice idea.

Hi One

Thanks for the interest! :D

Ok, so this one took quite a few failed attempts to get the right cart...
As I travel solo, the prime function is as a GBHB if I become immobolised far from assistance, I can walk out (It's my back-up-plan)... Yip I know 1 plan is none 2 plans is 1 plan... but....

So anyhow. To your questions. having given the prime function, it stands to reason that, I would walk back the route which I drove to before I got stuck. Given that, most of the way would be some kind of track / gravel-road, and, I would assume, most of the distance I have to go so I won't have to tote the weight for most of the way.

I've tested it out on twin tracks & gravel roads and because of the big wheels it actually copes quite well.

When I need to tote, it folds down (and here is one of the factors to get right with the cart) to no wider than my back-pack. Yes, there is a compromise in additional weight, but itits hardly worth worrying about, the cart is very light.. (that's the second factor to get right) very light weight. I'm happ with the compromise of a little additional weight over the ability to cart the weight... If you get what I'm trading.... (a little heaver when I have to tote <over> on weight to carry for most of the distance.

Then the bag is removably strapped on. That gives me the option of removing the cart altogether, concealing it for later retrieval, and going forward with just the back-pack.... This is nice, because on the odd ocasion when I do want to hike (like I did at Golden gate <Google that> I have a 72H completely kitted out hiking bag with 1 man tent <shelter> and all the rest of the stuff one would need if hiking & intending on sleeping out.

Ok so now we come to C of G...
When carting the bottom of the bag sits over the axel. as you know all the heavy stuff is always packed at the bottom, so this counters the balance and it has only a slight "positive" <downward> weight. In the bag above the main bag is only a thin hiking sponge sleep-mat... if its 300G it's a lot, so there is actually no weight worth worrying about. This was also one of the factors to get right when finding out which is the correct cart....

The problem I do experiance is "torque" force on my torso, created by the rolling resistance of the cart being pulled along with my hand / arm. It's a bit of an issue as I've got to keep changing my stick & cart from left to right arm.

I've got something in the pipeline to make a harness so that I can tow the cart behind, this will then also enable me to use both my sticks, whaich, as yo would know is waaaay happier, .................... But it's beet booted down the let's fix this priority list.......................... Which's got a hundred and plenty things...........

SIGH............. Think we're all there.............. Somewhere................... The let's fix this list...................:(

Ok so for storage in the roof-top-steel footlocker, the wheels get taken off <cart comes with a simple clippie thingie on each wheel to take the wheels off>, the cart is folded and the whole shebang goes into a zip-up duffel bag and into the footlocker...

Pneumatic tyres... Haven't considered, as the cart came complete and as I post, I think it would add a LOT percentage wize to the overall weight of the cart...

If the purpose of the bag was other <dedicated hiking> I probibly may have ended up with something different in some respects...

One more thing...

Sideways stability. With the cart unfolded, the wheel-base is wide enough. I had to choose between height at the ground end and wheel base width I'm 6'2" so the cart needs to be high enough to claer at the bottom....

Attachments

• GBHB configured for carting no cover bag.jpg
    GBHB configured for carting no cover bag.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 174
Back