• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Fire biscuits

divebuddy

Staff member
Running short of fire biscuits so made a batch while the weather was bad. 20 tins with 5 in a tin. Total 100. Keep me going for a bit. Ran a quick test. 6 minutes burn time started with a Ferro
IMG_20210602_145844.jpg
IMG_20210602_150906.jpg
IMG_20210602_145839.jpg
rod.

You've probably already shared the "recipe" but my searching skills are somewhat lacking it seems. What do you make them out of?

Melt candle wax, turn off flame/heat and add small shot of lamp oil. (The fumes given off by the lamp oil are highly flammable.) Dip make up pads in the hot liquid. Pick up individually with tweezers, allow excess wax to drip off and place on tin foil to cool. Tear in half and light. They fit nicely in .177 pellet tins.

Melt candle wax, turn off flame/heat and add small shot of lamp oil. (The fumes given off by the lamp oil are highly flammable.) Dip make up pads in the hot liquid.
Thanks for that . I sort of assumed there would be candle wax but if i'm honest i was thinking something like sawdust. Having just put the bins out prior to reading this a ( possibly gross and wrong ) thought entered my mind . The bin had a number of make up pads in it , used admittedly , and it's got me to wonder if i could recycle them into these biscuits?

Melt candle wax, turn off flame/heat and add small shot of lamp oil. (The fumes given off by the lamp oil are highly flammable.) Dip make up pads in the hot liquid. Pick up individually with tweezers, allow excess wax to drip off and place on tin foil to cool. Tear in half and light. They fit nicely in .177 pellet tins.

Top tip, lamp oil 👍🏻

Back