• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Fire Blanket under woodstove?

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
I'm planning to make a footprint for my tent out of a piece of tarp and was going to do a cut-out area for the stove to sit in.
Just wondering though, instead of cutting the area out, could I just sit the stove on top of a fire blanket over the tarp or would the heat still be too much for the tarp over an extended period of use?
Thoughts?

Don’t think you would have too much trouble with the fire/welders blanket mate , unless the belly of the stove was directly on the blanket, it could heat the tarp some …. Possibly melting it (just a theory as iv no experience with them )

The fire level at the bottom of my stove is about 100mm off the ground but with a large steel plate which I expect would act as a heatsink of sorts. I will order the blanket and do a bit of experimentation (sounds like another video opportunity to me lol)

It depends on the fire blanket as well, some heat proof plumbers mats will withstand a blowtorch directed on them until they glow but will protect whatever is behind them while some do not. I definitely think it’s a good idea to test your fire blanket before you’re in a situation where you’re relying on it or it’s failure could ruin your tent. +1 for experimentation in a safe situation.

Food for thought Paul.....if camping on snow.
You could maybe adapt this method to suit your stove?......and use a Fire Blanket of some sort in conjunction with this set up?

It's the rocket stove I got it from @Matt in October.
It does have an insulation block in between the base plate and the ash drawer and didn't scorch the ground before so I'm thinking it'll be fine.
I'll do a wee test today.

20211017_164844.jpg

I remember the stove now....nice big base plate with holes already drilled on the corners of the base plate.....if you bought some threaded bar and some nuts and washers you could easily make some legs to fit the base plate and lift the stove up more from the floor......( Store the legs inside the stove)
The base plate is big enough.......so centre of gravity would not be affected to much.
Double fold a welding matt beneath.....should be fine?

Last edited:
Some stand-off and a fire blanket is your best bet as not only should it protect your ground sheet it should also provide for a bit of convection/radiation transfer of the heat at the base of the stove into your tent as opposed to straight into the ground (you should have some ventilation to create a small amount of air flow) - win-win!

Don‘t forget - gravity is a myth - the Earth sucks! 😆

Well I had the tent set up in the garden today to check the height of the stove pipe, try to fit the inner from the Iron Wall and experiment with the tarp below the stove.
Success all round. The heat of the stove had no effect on the little bit of tarp I placed under it. I'll use the fire blanket that I've ordered anyway.
Vid of the Iron Wall inner on my channel if anyone is interested in that bit.

Mine too. I went for the 80 x 80cm one and a 10 litre dry bag for the tent but that might be a little neat.

Back