• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

FIRE BOX

Ark79

Site Manager
Staff member
I’ve recently bought a fire box gen 1 with a great leather pouch (top notch bill;)) from the gentleman we all know as @1 shot willie.
61FB5719-BE5A-4671-BD0F-1868CCD98302.jpeg

The leather work is spot on. Craftsmanship at its finest :D
I have to admit I never fancied the idea of one...can’t see past an open fire and am a sticker with things I like. Creature of habit if you will.... so when bill was selling his I thought to myself let’s see what all the hype is about so I okay’d it with the boss and stuck a bid on it and as it happens bill offered me a deal I couldn’t refuse ( must have been my birthday :D) thanks again mucker. Right am rambling... to the point:D when it got here (quickly by the ways) I couldn’t resist taking it out for a burn.
4A6FEDF8-643E-427F-B20B-218EC8EB809F.jpeg

8971A301-B01D-4288-B113-D1CABEFB1BA7.jpeg

FFF73ED1-E335-44D4-AA60-364F8525E154.jpeg

And I have to admit I agree with all the hype! Cracking little thing. Easy to light, directs the heat to where it should be
08B80D2E-3DBB-4138-A357-230CE4EA4252.jpeg

827D1A14-5E1D-4937-9FE9-F71A15F820AE.jpeg

also I like how compact it is. But what impressed me the most is how easy it was to use ie put together. I wanted to test myself so I didn’t watch any vids on how to assemble. It’s as simple as socks;) and to be honest it would need to be with me lol. When I like something I like it and I like it:D there was a little worry when the rain came down and me and the kids run under the nearest tree that it would go out. Happily it didn’t! And we still got a cup of tea.
25E384D7-6AFE-4D22-A6AB-85DAA5F33D05.jpeg

The cup in the middle is mine :D

Didn’t time the boil but it was quick! All in all it’s its braw and I like my new toy;)

if I had to say something negative about it then I would say it could be a little bigger but it’s not! an issue.

Till the next outing lol

I found that a little extra time in preparation to get either a good stack of dry wood/feather sticks goes a long way, force drying the next bundle of wood by leaning it on the side as an additional wind break can also help.

I found that a little extra time in preparation to get either a good stack of dry wood/feather sticks goes a long way, force drying the next bundle of wood by leaning it on the side as an additional wind break can also help.

Cheers for the tips 38 :thumbsup: a was lucky this time as there was a lot of dry twigs laying about. Am also thinking of making a few fire biscuits

@Ark79

Come on now mate......let's be honest here PLEASE.........yours is the mug on the right. :sneaky:

Glad it got to you ok Mark.:thumbsup:
Nice pictures and brilliant to see you out for your first burn with it.
You can actually burn some descent sized wood in the box once you establish the fire........2 to 3 inch diameter small logs is not a problem.....and they last well.
Never failed to light the box using fire biscuits.........it is well worth the effort to make and carry a few.....could be the difference of fire..... or no fire :thumbsup:
They are quick and efficient.

Also used it in conjunction with the lightweight sectional aluminium tripod.......you can then really stoke the firebox up with wood and cook a nice stew over the box in no time at all........worth while addition Mark.......and small sectional screw together pieces :thumbsup:

Charcoal works well to;)

Enjoy mate.

@Ark79

Come on now mate......let's be honest here PLEASE.........yours is the mug on the right. :sneaky:

Glad it got to you ok Mark.:thumbsup:
Nice pictures and brilliant to see you out for your first burn with it.
You can actually burn some descent sized wood in the box once you establish the fire........2 to 3 inch diameter small logs is not a problem.....and they last well.
Never failed to light the box using fire biscuits.........it is well worth the effort to make and carry a few.....could be the difference of fire..... or no fire :thumbsup:
They are quick and efficient.

Also used it in conjunction with the lightweight sectional aluminium tripod.......you can then really stoke the firebox up with wood and cook a nice stew over the box in no time at all........worth while addition Mark.......and small sectional screw together pieces :thumbsup:

Charcoal works well to;)

Enjoy mate.

The fire biscuits are a must mate :thumbsup: av Always liked the idea of using a tripod for cooking. A will make one eventually lol. av Watched a few vids on making the biscuits and they seem easy enough to do:D

And the mug in the middle is mine bill :D a promise:whistle::whistle::rofl:

The spot you chose to try the box out at looks good Mark......is it fairly close to home for you?

The spot you chose to try the box out at looks good Mark......is it fairly close to home for you?

It’s about 15 or so miles from me so not to bad. It’s a lovely spot bill. Or should be! It’s plagued with idiots sometimes. Bags bottles half burnt rubbish laying around. Half burnt branches because they have tried to use living trees as firewood :thumbsdown: we pick up what we can but some parts are awful mate. There are a lot of people who treat it with respect so parts of the lock are spot on. Despite the idiots it’s still a popular venue. The kids love it and it’s basically on my doorstep so it’s a win win for the most part. Have to say tho the park rangers are getting there fingers out and chasing the culprits. They where down yesterday taking pictures of the mess. Hopefully they clocked who was there before hand.

Ideal then, Mark.....shame it gets abused by the local pond life though:(
There are so many stunning spots in the wilds of Scotland.......if only the idiots could appreciate what they are so lucky to have....... and the privilege to enjoy.

Good to hear the rangers are on the ball :thumbsup:

Do they have a hotline number that responsible users can use to report abuse and negative behaviour if they witness it?

They do mate it just the direct line to the offices at lock lommond. But I have never seen anyone getting lifted or warnings. Not to say it doesn’t happen as I have seen the police a few times across the other side. A take a more direct approach if I don’t have the kids with me. Av met some checky buggers :rofl:

Back