• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Fire in the hole...

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
An unusual Remembrance Sunday, normally spent with a few mates but today it was a recce in the woods. I went back to the mystery steel object from a previous post and had a more detailed look at it in good light.

The small bolts had at one time almost certainly been fixings for legs, and the spacing made it highly likely that the mystery dome was as Mike had suggested in my first post, a Brazier or some kind of old fire bowl.
Confident that I was not about to be sent into orbit in a cloud of smoke, I gently pressed on it with my walking stick...and the thing practically disintegrated !!
DSCF6537.jpg

A close look shows one of the two handles at 12 o'clock...Mike wins first prize...
happy0065.gif

The wood took a battering during the winds of last week,quite a few trees down,these two across the paths.
DSCF6534.jpg

Eaten away inside by boring insects, the Trunk full of powdered wood.
DSCF6535.jpg

This one came over the fence from the Farmer's field and displayed some well developed Bracket Funghi on the trunk.
DSCF6541.jpg

DSCF6540.jpg

All this excitement !! Brew time and a chance to test my new.." I wonder if? " project...

If the cardboard cup is designed to hold and retain heat when full of Noodles,then it might retain heat if used as a Cosy...Plus I'll boost it with some Kitchen Foil...
DSCF6531.jpg

DSCF6532.jpg

Success! 20 minutes + from boiling to just about safe/ hot to sip. I'd guess it's good keeping the drink hot for half an hour easily. It doesn't get squashed in the Bergan either because the plastic mug stows inside. Mark 2 will be lined with foil baking tray material rather than the thin kitchen foil...Once I've scoffed some more Noodles that is...
The only hiccup of the day was Wasps ! In the second week of November and the little striped gits made a Bee line...well a Wasp line..for me sarnies...
anim_59.gif

DSCF6538.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF6537.jpg
    DSCF6537.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF6538.jpg
    DSCF6538.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 9
  • anim_59.gif
    anim_59.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 10
  • DSCF6532.jpg
    DSCF6532.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF6531.jpg
    DSCF6531.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF6540.jpg
    DSCF6540.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF6541.jpg
    DSCF6541.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF6535.jpg
    DSCF6535.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF6534.jpg
    DSCF6534.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 9
  • happy0065.gif
    happy0065.gif
    2 KB · Views: 11
I've a couple of mates who have made cosies out of insulating stuff like foil for mess tins etc. they can work really well and if you design them to go round stuff they don't take up too much room either.

Nice phots too Sax and at least you know what it was. You strike me as the kind of guy who HAD to know what it was.

I did Bam...A string of totally unconnected events plus failing light stopped me looking the first time. The nearby Town and Harbour was a Coastal Command base during WW2. Sunderland aircraft were built here and used by the RAF, there is a local museum ( Closed at the moment)
I had been reading about Coastal Command and their Boffins dreaming up ways to get Jerry to surface when they spotted him and a range of weird and wonderful things were dreamed up. Strange looking Depth charges, also electric gadgets which were also magnetic...Drop it in the Oggin and it would attach itself to the Sub.....

The wood is a stones throw from the Coast...Let's just say the RAF were sometimes not quite on target..Supposing a night training run with an untested fandangled device had not gone according to plan and they'd missed the Oggin and planted it in the adjoining trees ?

I decided to wait for more daylight...
scared0010.gif

Attachments

• scared0010.gif
    scared0010.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 13
I did Bam...A string of totally unconnected events plus failing light stopped me looking the first time. The nearby Town and Harbour was a Coastal Command base during WW2. Sunderland aircraft were built here and used by the RAF, there is a local museum ( Closed at the moment)
I had been reading about Coastal Command and their Boffins dreaming up ways to get Jerry to surface when they spotted him and a range of weird and wonderful things were dreamed up. Strange looking Depth charges, also electric gadgets which were also magnetic...Drop it in the Oggin and it would attach itself to the Sub.....

The wood is a stones throw from the Coast...Let's just say the RAF were sometimes not quite on target..Supposing a night training run with an untested fandangled device had not gone according to plan and they'd missed the Oggin and planted it in the adjoining trees ?

I decided to wait for more daylight...
scared0010.gif
The Sunderland is my fave plane, they're not the sexiest aircraft to take to the sky but they were pretty amazing. They even had a locker with 4 .303's in them, along with a galley and a bog. Packed a punch when required too. Being a fat b'stard I'm more impressed with the galley and the bog to be honest, one kind of means the other....

Attachments

• scared0010.gif
    scared0010.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 14
You would be in your element here then mate, there's even a pub called The Sunderland. I'll have a wander around the old Hangers when I get the chance and get some photos. There's still a big Hanger, Number 1 Sunderland Hanger where they built them

• Love
Reactions: Bam
Dakota. (my favourite....and totally irrelevant)
Again Saxonaxe a lovely piece....it gets people right there. Well me at least.............:D

Beautiful thing, so in proportion. Stalwart of Nigerian Airways...... (you couldn't make it up.....), but off thread, sorry

Reactions: Bam
Beautiful thing, so in proportion. Stalwart of Nigerian Airways...... (you couldn't make it up.....), but off thread, sorry
Don't think I flew in one but there were plenty about when I was growing up in NZ. I did fly in a few 'Friendly fokkerships' that were the staple of internal flights at the time.

Reactions: lol
Back