• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Fire Lighting. Processing Amadou Fungi Tinder.

Not much of this in my neck of the Woods Keith. I use the "fluff" out of the tumble dryer filter. It catches light at the smallest spark. Around here we have a lot of Burdock, the dried seed heads smashed up make great fire starting material.

Not much of this in my neck of the Woods Keith. I use the "fluff" out of the tumble dryer filter. It catches light at the smallest spark. Around here we have a lot of Burdock, the dried seed heads smashed up make great fire starting material.
Amadou is not native to Australia, but there are many other plant & fungi tinders available. Punk wood would probably be the most commonly used tinder worldwide.
Keith.
PUNK WOOD 725 cm 001 REDUCED.jpg
Punkwood in base of tree 2 REDUCED.jpg

I've use King Alfred's Cake which I'm pretty sure its a fungus before but I'm not sure I've used this.

Birch bark is good, you can take the very outer layer from the tree, a tissue thin piece and it will catch really quickly and the tree will not be damaged.

Back