• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

fire starter

I suspect its chemical based, think you could achieve similar with a metal lip balm or pellet tin and some ethanol gel with a cost of around 20p

Looks interesting but as Lea mentioned you could knock up something similar easily and cheaply.

I just run a little test:

A heaped tea spoon of ethanol gel in a 200 pellet tin (couldn’t find a smaller tin) burns for 8 min the gel spread out as it got hot so it burn away quicker than if it was in a smaller tin. A full pellet tin lasts around 25 mins whatever tin you use make sure it has air tight seal and you can re light the ethonol time after time.

P2120001.jpg P2120005.jpg

More info on ethanol in a thread here:

http://thebushcraftforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2466

Attachments

• P2120001.jpg
    P2120001.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 92
  • P2120005.jpg
    P2120005.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 106
I haven't used it, it's novel and actually a good idea.

I am wondering whether it's got a golden paraffin wax base with some pine resin mixed in (they mention pine scented), they also appear to have impregnated it into what looks like cotton wool sheets which provides the fibre.

Golden paraffin wax is used within the medical fraternity as a moisturising agent. It can be melted easily enough. You should also be able to remove resin from maya sticks / fatwood as long as you can heat it without allowing the resin to catch.

That mix at the quantity that they show would burn easily for 27 minutes.

Been using cotton wool buds and Vaseline.

Now changed to using, cotton wool make up removing pads.

Melt Bees wax in a small pan, say 2 inches in depth (Wax ) then add 6x tablespoons of paraffin based lamp oil to the hot wax.
Dip the pads into the mix using tweezers, and lay on baking foil, leave to cool.

Clean to use, and very efficient, burns for about 8 mins each pad :)

Cheap to make, easy to light, and store.

Birch Bark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And if its real wet then I always have a couple of foil covered domestic fire lighters for emergency fire starting.

Last edited:
Back