• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Fire Trough from Richard Outdoors..

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
The Postie delivered the Fire Trough today, ordered very late on 29th December, so pretty good delivery time considering season and circumstances.

First impressions are always important I feel. The Fire Trough arrived in an Amazon delivery box which had been subjected to major surgery with Scissors and sticky tape. Some may say, that's not very professional, but it amused me as I had visions of Richard or family members all beavering away to get his new products to customers. Good for them.
Having unwrapped it next impression was...Quality! This is no Ali express special. A nicely made fabric case with a big 'Made in Uk' tag and Velcro closure. I don't own an accurate weighing scale, but this Fire Trough is not for the lightweight fans.
DSC00273.JPG

The pierced pot rest alone is 3 mm thick and is a few ounces in weight. Assembly is so easy that instructions are not required, unless of course you are a modern University Graduate in which case there is an 18 page manual available and a telephone help line for counselling.

At the moment I'm not agile enough to traipse through the wood looking for dry standing, so apologies for the damp wind fall that I used for the demo burn.
DSC00274.JPG

Once the initial heat built up the damp wood burned quite well.
DSC00276.JPG

Something worth noting from these first photos is that the smoke is rising practically straight up, there was virtually no breeze at all. I have read comments that suggested the Fire Trough was not ventilated sufficiently to promote easy burning.
I found that comment inaccurate during this initial trial. One match and away it went, damp wood on a still day too.
DSC00279.JPG

The kettle is a medium 1.2...1.5 litre ? size, so room on the fire for another pot if required.

As expected and as highlighted in the note included in the package, there was heat heat warping taking place, left side is the clearest example.
DSC00281.JPG

The warping did not affect the structure of the Fire Trough at all, ie: it didn't collapse or fall apart. The fuel wood burned away to a fine ash as seen in the photo.

As for the double Trangia plate which I think is a brilliant idea, my cheap Trangia copies would fall through the holes in the plate but the solution is really very simple. A cheap steel tent peg laid across both holes does the trick.

DSC00283.JPG

In summary..
I'm impressed and happy with the purchase. Ideal for commercial campsites which allow fires 'Off the ground' and for me will be part of my Motorcycle camping kit and any time where I will be static for a couple of days. I'll stick with my BCB Army Gel stove, little Meths burners or Gas burner for day trips, but the Fire Trough will be a favourite for established camps where open fires are not an option.

Looks good Sax....neat little fire pit.....like it!

The warping is an easy fix with a tent peg made to clip on the top of the two side plates to hold them in position and keep everything tight and snug.

I re-assembled it once it had cooled down and had a quick scrub to remove the soot. By reversing the side sections on reassembly the slight warping can be used to advantage in that it makes a tight fit when fitted that way. The next time I fire it up and it warps, I'll simply reverse the sides again.

Brilliant, thank you. I wonder if mine will come tomorrow? WooHoo! I found some cheap trangia copies at £2 each and given as 70mm diameter, but haven't received those yet. Could be great for wild camps with the canoe if proper fires inappropriate?????:thumbsup:

Yup arrived...everything Saxonaxe said. A meaty piece of kit, beautifully cut. The top grill plate is where the weight is.
Had a burn out the back....it's no longer bling! Ease of packing is superb in LK 35 sidepocket as it packs flat! (or anywhere else.....)

Story continues.......................

I found two burners for £2 each and 70ml diameter base...................perfect. They have arrived and I was pleasantly surprised to see that they were LIXADA burners...for £2; good stuff.
The bases however, were NOT 70ml, the flanges were....almost: for they fell straight through.
So, taking a leaf out of Saxonaxes ideas, I made a length of wire that hooks over the burner mounting plate longitudinally, and can be slided/slid? to squeeze under the burners flanges and hold them in place.

The only proper solution is not to be a tightwad and buy a couple of the genuine article!!!!

.........this stove is going to become my "go to" stove and usurp my beloved Swedish Army trangia, my Honey stove copy, and various hybridised bits............ :thumbsup:

Just too versatile................

@lol

It has just got a lot better Lol........the addition of the Support Grill......I think......is the icing on the caaaaaaake.
A good usable cooking space and more support for the firebox itself.
A good multi fuel/use stove.

Look forward to seeing some pictures of you putting it through its paces......and a nice warming fire burning in it :)

Very tempted......but holding back for results of trials :rolleyes::D

A trial of the stove is on my list. Couldn't help noticing the South African bloke in the middle video had some shiney new kit, it all looked unused and the Trangia plate fooled him. Needs to learn not to use living tree roots as a chopping block too....😠

The new grill top thingy arrived today............
100+ gms lighter than standard top......... :thumbsup:

Boiled a cup of coffee with trangias to try............

Superb in every way (...even more access for feeding wood (through top)), better positioning of pots from trangia burner if used, up a few mm, and grill hooks over the sides beautifully.
If you buy a fire trough, even if you are just going to burn wood, spend a tenner and get this. The ONLY thing where the standard top is better, is that you can grill things straight on it if you wish.
BOTH tops go in standard canvas wallet together if wanted.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
I read that as, "meddlesome Hobbit".......................... :rofl: (with apologies to Gollum!)

Seriously.........get the new bits........ :thumbsup:

Back