• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Firearm-What If / Which

Prime

Very Addicted
So I've been having a splurge on P.A fantasy literature/media of late and thought I would pose the following question,yes a fantasy tilt to it but as a Firearm owner myself I thought it would be interesting to see what your input maybe and why ( ie justify your answer )

So , scenario - The World has gone to hell in a handcart , you are left in the UK , all rule of order is out the window and any regulated control of firearms is gone - you have access to any named Firearm you are aware of is either in civilian use ( privately owned ) or used by current forces ( Police/Military -any branch ) stationed within the confinement of the UK.

You will secure a firearm as your primary and only option ( ie no 2nd or 3rd options ) for a variety of reasons and usages to cover the many possible things that will confront you in such a scenario.

So , what would you elect to obtain and use ( carry ) as your only firearm and why?

Think I would opt for something along the lines of a bull pup.
Preferably semi auto.
Short and manoeuvrable in tight spaces for close quarter, easier to conceal.
The 22 is a good shout, you can carry plenty as HD said, and stop most things with ease with good shot placement too 300+ mtrs.

So, close protection, hunting, and mid range abilities.

Wonder what the holdover would be at 300m? Lol
Think I would opt for something along the lines of a bull pup.
Preferably semi auto.
Short and manoeuvrable in tight spaces for close quarter, easier to conceal.
The 22 is a good shout, you can carry plenty as HD said, and stop most things with ease with good shot placement too 300+ mtrs.

So, close protection, hunting, and mid range abilities.

:D Indeed mate.....don't think we would engage a target at that range anyway to be honest, although possible with the right ammo.
I would enjoy experimenting with scope, scope height, muzzle velocity, bullet weight, and zero off a bipod.....:)

No... let alone being able to see the target :D

Probably a good 6 or 7ft drop at that distance. You'd need a good scope :D

Good and interesting comments so far , still waiting to hear from Lonewolf - not short of an opinion normally.

It would really depend on what you'd regard as the main use for the gun?

If self defence, probably a nice little MP7 with red dot, which could also deal with some hunting.
If mainly hunting food, i'd still go for the .22lr. Although entirely illegal right now, but then we're talking SHTF scenario, it'd kill a roe deer with a shot to the brain - probably the biggest quarry you'd want to take, right down to birds and bunnies.

Good thing with a centrefire, I suppose, is that you can reload.

Good and interesting comments so far , still waiting to hear from Lonewolf - not short of an opinion normally.
sorry TD, been offline...laptop packed up and I had to invest in a new one, just got back online a few minutes ago. in answer to your question probably a shotgun .22 or 410.

double post.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, it would depend on where I was going & how I intended to get there. Having said that, using any vehicle can have its problems. If you break down for example & have to ditch the vehicle, then you will have to carry all your gear on foot. Having a partner or a group may help, but still there are other priorities to consider besides guns & ammo.
A .22 might be a good choice, but again it depends on where you are going to be & what the game is there. A .22 has a drop of roughly 3.3 inches over a hundred yards. I have never had to shoot that far to get meat or to defend myself. A .22 is no good for shooting birds on the wing.

A .410 has light ammo & a 3 inch cartridge has good range & knock down power. Still not that great for shooting on the wing though unless you are very good.

The 12 gauge is good for hunting & defence, but the ammo is heavy & bulky.

I think my choice will have to be what I use now, which is a .62 caliber/20 gauge flintlock fusil. It will take large game such as wild boar & deer & cattle, goats & sheep. It is also good for small game. The ammo is not that heavy as I do not have to carry modern cartridges, & I can easily remould spent lead retrieved from shot game.

I made my first muzzle-loading gun when I was a kid in the UK. I have hunted extensively in the UK & here. I have been using a muzzle-loader for over 30 years, & for about 20 years the fusil I have kept my family in meat for the table.

If I was going to carry a rifle, I would choose my .32 caliber flintlock rifle with double set triggers. I will add that I do own two .22 rifles, a .410 shotgun, a double 12 gauge, a BSA .22 air rifle as well as other muzzle-loaders in percussion & flintlock.
FUSIL_3_0.jpg

My .62 caliber/20 gauge flintlock fusil with a 42 inch barrel.
FLINTLOCK_RIFLE_006.jpg

My .32 caliber flintlock rifle with double set triggers.
PISTOL_6_1.jpg

My .70 caliber smoothbore flintlock pistol with a left hand lock. I carry this for defence only. Like the smoothbore fusil this pistol can use round ball & shot or a combination of both. I am also able to use the same size ball as the fusil despite the difference in caliber size.
Keith.

i it's a total collapse wrol etc then I would make an effort to secure an sa80 or any other military rifle purely for firepower and defence. The ability to concentrate fire upon an enemy and make them think twice should not be underestimated.

there are 10,800 guns (including shotguns) registered in Devon and Cornwall, so i'd probably look to getting hold of one of these-probably a shotgun, these would be more prolific in what is a rural, farming, isolated location.

i it's a total collapse wrol etc then I would make an effort to secure an sa80 or any other military rifle purely for firepower and defence. The ability to concentrate fire upon an enemy and make them think twice should not be underestimated.
*Something went wrong with the previous post & I can not edit it now.
The problem with modern ammo is the weight & the amount you would need to carry, that is IF you could obtain this type of arm in the first place. If you are defending your home base, then I totally agree, but if you are "bugging out", then I think the extra weight could compromise your ability to carry other important items.
Keith.

My choices are very much dependent on scenario. For instance in a "survivors" type event then everything would be up for grabs.

Back