• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Firearm-What If / Which

Back to basics for me. If a could get a hold of a gun then great but if not then home made weapons crossbows,slingshot etc. Also self defence hand to hand combat. Foot traps leg traps and so on would be made for perimeter defence. If total shtf and all hell is on its way or happening then a would be on the move all the time so bow and arrow and slingshot with at least an hours practice a day with them. If a could take my choice of guns then it would be any 9mm a recon that kind of amo would be the easiest to obtain.

And if all else fails then the wife she a warrior :ninja::rofl:

This is a thorny issue to answer, I keep coming up with different answers, due to differing scenarios.

The one thing that will remain the same in all scenarios...what you have on you what you can get were you are when the shtf :thumbsup: do you own a weapon can you get a weapon (were from) were you live what are the laws on owning a weapon of any sort. All this will have a impact on what you can have and what you can't

The points you raise Mark are all valid but are all dependent on the situation, for example would anyone of us care about what any authority says if that authority is none existent in a WROL situation? I certainly wouldn't.

its a theoretical question which would only apply post TEOTWAWKI and if WROL.

The points you raise Mark are all valid but are all dependent on the situation, for example would anyone of us care about what any authority says if that authority is none existent in a WROL situation? I certainly wouldn't.

True m8 but slightly of what a ment

Before the shtf (president Day) the rules are in place and already active so this would have a major effect on what you could get a hold of i.e. Laws banning hand guns certain rifles import of ammunition and certain bans on knifes. yes there are illegal guns and knifes out there but when shtf the people that have them will keep them.

For example
A live in Scotland we're all hand guns are band and you need a license for every kind of rifle out there witch is ok if I already have the licence and own the rifles when the shtf.
If not then I would have to ether work with what I had or barter to get a weapon or steel one from someone witch would probably result in a fatality in post shtf

So lol what you have now or what the laws say you can have at the present will always stay the same. What you can have and what you can't have

Think I would opt for something along the lines of a bull pup.
Preferably semi auto.
Short and manoeuvrable in tight spaces for close quarter, easier to conceal.
The 22 is a good shout, you can carry plenty as HD said, and stop most things with ease with good shot placement too 300+ mtrs.

So, close protection, hunting, and mid range abilities.
I would doubt the effective range of a .22 LR would be anything over 200 meters but for absolute accuracy I would keep it under 150 meters. The .22 wmr is more powerful but no more accurate and the rounds are much harder to find. With both of these rim fire rifles shot placement is everything, they have good penetration but very poor energy transfer.
After that you're stepping up to centre fire rounds and the next worthwhile rung up on the ladder is .223, an accurate round that is great for hunting small to medium game. Choose your rifle carefully because only some are proofed to also accept the nato 5.56 round. They are slightly different with approximately 30% higher muzzle energy and a very slightly different shoulder design of the round.
Whatever firearm you choose, your choice should at least be partially based on availability of ammunition. For this reason black powder firearms are also an option.
My personal choice would be for a .22lr

Last edited:
OK, I know nothing about guns but having watched the Terminator, I'm going for an Uzi 9mm. Why? I think the sound alone is going to really scare the hell out of people and they're more likely to leave me alone ;) More seriously, I'm reading all the posts to get an idea of what a more realistic alternative is :D

OK, I know nothing about guns but having watched the Terminator, I'm going for an Uzi 9mm. Why? I think the sound alone is going to really scare the hell out of people and they're more likely to leave me alone ;) More seriously, I'm reading all the posts to get an idea of what a more realistic alternative is :D

Great Honest post - please feel to ask any question if you feel any of us can help assist.

Well the L129A1 Fires a 7.62mm round which is a big old bang. Loads of range and plenty of knock down factor .

Just to be clear, my choice of firearm is just for putting food on the table...not as a weapon.
A weapon is just a tool that can be used offensively and defensively, I don't see a philosophical argument that says weapons can't be both.

When your hunting small game and there's none of it left to eat; when the resultant weapon and ammunition are heavier and bulkier than less powerful systems that are thus easier to carry around, to name two!šŸ˜‰

Not had much use of anything else other than SA80, did use M16 and AK 47.Saying that i think it would have to be something simple and that was everywhere if were talking Guns/Rifles , just due to the fact at some stage its going to break and you will need parts.

SA80 be good though but few of them , but thats due to my familiarity more than anything.

Probably a bit of overkill for most purposes other than long range shooting.

It'll do the job for larger game and I'd likely be fishing more than I'm hunting anyway. Plus it punches through the gunwale of most vessels at a decent range which is useful.

Last edited:
The .22lr isn't much of a weapon but it's excellent for small game which is what we have here in the UK. It's lightweight and can be properly silenced with a sound moderator rather then just reducing the noise. It's only drawback is also it's great virtue, it is so low powered that it doesn't mess up the meat.
If you wanted to use one as a weapon I suppose you could use it as a club and beat someone over the head with it

Back